View Single Post
Unread 01/05/2016, 10:40 AM   #2538
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
This occurred to me too. Someone needs to experiment with adding a huge number of sand-dwelling corals to their reef. Alternatively I'm tempted to annoy a rock full of pest Discosoma mushrooms I have and see whether the mucus does anything. (Of course allelopathic compounds in coral mucus may make this a terrible idea-do NOT try this with your favourite corals).

Carbon dosing is an interesting point.. it has been known to encourage cyano blooms. I can come up with hypothetical reasons why it should help and harm. I don't *think* I recall anyone mentioning that they were c-dosing when they got dinos. Anyone?

hth
ivy

Yes, I've been carbon dosing for years and have dino's. None visually right now and probably wont see them again until I screw something up again. My parameters are pretty well posted around now to. With Nitrates under 1ppm and even under .5ppm. Phosphates around .03. Most recently under .03.

My many adventures in comparison testing
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2541190

My most recent set of test results

But I don't strive for clean or dirty and have no idea which I fall into. My parameters for nitrate and phosphates are low. But my sump is full of detritus I never touch. I don't use filter socks or other typical mechanical filtration. The flow in my display tank is setup now to keep detritus suspended until sucked down the overflow to my sump where it becomes food and home to many critters.

For exports:
  • I don't run mechanical filters besides a skimmer which I use for aerating the water and removing bacteria that has consumed nitrates and phostphates.
  • I've used vinegar for years and dosed ~100ml/day for 200g total water volume.
  • I do ~1% automatic water changes daily exporting stuff.
  • I harvest algae via an ATS.

For imports:
  • I feed a lot. 4 times per day I have an automatic feeder dump some NLS Marine/AlgaeMax pellets. I hand feed 2-3x per day some meaty food maybe ~2-3 cubes worth. A sheet of nori per day. This brings in a lot of phosphates, trace elements, vitamins, minerals, etc. Plus increases urea dosing nitrates to my tank.
  • ~1% daily automatic water changes importing stuff
  • I add a small amount of Mg to that water change water. I need to reduce that amount.
  • I dose limewater which was via ATO and right now experimenting with limewater dosing separate from my ATO.
  • Carbon dosing via vinegar ~100ml/day. But recently experimenting with a vodka/vinegar mix dosing ~36ml/day.

I didn't touch the dino's this time around and just watched them. Pictures of their peak and eventual decline earlier in this thread.

Edit: and my Mg supplement used to be Tech-m but switched a few years ago to a Mg Chloride/Sulfate I mix together myself now for cheaper. Using Randy's ratio for those using Kalk.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank

Last edited by jason2459; 01/05/2016 at 10:49 AM.
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote