View Single Post
Unread 02/13/2018, 04:15 PM   #9593
rhickman17
Registered Member

Has anyone built an external overflow box approximately 24x10x7 out of 1/4" glass and used 1.5" flow through holes from internal to external and successfully had a silent overflow?

I'm conflicted as to whether or not to just run the pipes directly into the back of my tank with an internal box that has the elbows configured the way Bean initially demonstrated in his schematic, or building a low profile glass internal overflow, and an external overflow with 1/4" glass to handle the plumbing.

I like the external overflow box idea for the space saving, and the ability to reduce the number of bends and turns in the pipes due to less fittings. I don't like the idea of my external 1/4" box with 1" siphon and 2 1.5" emergencies A. Cracking/breaking during operation, or B. Falling off of the tank. I am going to use GE SCS1200 to build and adhere the boxes, but right now the external box is up in the air as I can't find thicker glass that won't cost me an arm, and a few people have mentioned the "flow-through" holes made noise in their setups in this thread.

rhickman17 is offline   Reply With Quote