View Single Post
Unread 02/06/2017, 10:04 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I need a clearer photo to give a definitive answer. There are 3 generations of magnet holder used on these products. The oldest seems to be what you have, but I need a clearer photo to be sure. The oldest version used a rare earth magnet which is coated in polyurethane, all that is inside is a non plated neodymium magnet pair and an iron plate. We believe neodymium is mildly toxic, a breach of this style magnet holder is very rare and usually would be due to the polyurethane cracking. 2006-2010

The second generation used ferrite magnets, these are inert ceramic, they also have the iron plate underneath and these are not fully coated, the ferrite itself is exposed as it is much weaker and coating reduces the strength. This style is completely inert, ferrite is a manmade magnetic ceramic and the plate underneath is iron, it is not plated or galvanized and contains no heavy metals. On this type, it is not impossible for the iron plate to be breached but the byproduct is only the rust we use as GFO, more commonly, the 3D surface has attracted magnetic material, such as GFO dust and this is the cause of the staining. 2010-2015, this the was the result of China nationalizing production of rare earth metals, as the virtual sole source they created a 6x cost increase in raw magnets in 2009, this was widely covered on reef blogs as it affected lanthanum and neodymium prices and both are used in reef tanks, one for phosphate control, the other for magnet holders and cleaners.

The third generation is the current 6025.515, it is basically a redesigned 1st generation which is much more stream lined, the protruding lobes with rubber feet have been replaced by a silicon ring and the magnets are thinner, they share a similar construction but we were able to achieve the same hold with less neodymium through better optimization of the design. 2015-present

I can only tell what you have is 1st or 2nd gen. The current 6025.515 would be a suitable replacement.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote