View Single Post
Unread 03/04/2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Is the sand in the refugium as well? If so, when you disturb it you will almost certainly release hydrogen Sulfide into the water (black, stinky stuff, that is toxic). Because of this, isolating it from the rest of your system before doing anything is the proper 1st step. I would go ahead and clean the sand as well as possible at that time. It will probably require the addition of more water to get it done. Just siphon from the DT into the sump area for that. Keep going until no more black stuff comes out. A Python Siphon is the perfect tool for this job, btw. Once the sand is clean, continue with the rest of your plan and I foresee no problems at all. As an added bonus, you will end up giving the DT a nice sized water change at the same time (due to the amount of water you will need to get the sand clean), so have plenty of water ready to go.

Doing it this way will have the benefit of both losing minimal denitrifying bacteria and ridding your system of whatever gunk is built up in the sand bed. WIN WIN!

Have fun!!!

and pics of the mantis please!!!!
Yeah sand is in the fuge, pic of the fuge is attached.

Anytime I do anything in that nasty thing I always isolate it. It’s gross.

Will siphoning it decimate my pods that are in there?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 776DB1FB-1048-4BE0-9027-29D8D4FAE862.jpg (44.1 KB, 26 views)

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote