View Single Post
Unread 05/14/2012, 09:38 PM   #96
James77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaren View Post
I would personally pay more for the very same fish if I new the chain of purchase was a published treatment advantage to responsible harvesting. This is how free enterprise works best without regulation. Just the truth ...and good people make good decisions. We just need to know who treats the fish badly and we won't buy from them. Most of us have enough money to not be cheap or we could not afford to do this anyway, right? We can only have a hand full of fish so ...lets spend on fish with a few more questions at purchase time. We can not do this without a whistle blower to let us know who the bads ones are ...right? ...right
I'd fully agree and buy more expensive fish, howver the vast majority of people out there will go for the cheap price. 2 tangs in a tank, one twice the price of the other.....how many people do you think would go for the expensive one?

Free enterprise or free markets are great, but in some circumstances they are not. In the effort to get the lowest possible price to consumers to undercut competiton, shortcuts may be taken. No big deal with inanimate objects, but when vast amounts of fish die it is a little disturbing. Animals have been hunted and captured to extinction many, many times because of no regulation....greed wins. Some very simple regulations could be put in place with harsh penalties for not following them....problem solved so long as the requiremnets don't look anything like our tax code .

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef and 75g Freshwater
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote