View Single Post
Unread 01/08/2009, 09:05 PM   #52
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EnglishRebel
Bean
I have just ordered a 60Lx30Dx24H custom glass with an external 48L X 6D X 12H overflow on the back panel. I'm having the bottom of the overflow drilled for 6 1-1/2" bulkheads as I'm gong to have two sets of "PERFECT SILENT DRAIN SYSTEM". My question is twofold.[list=1][*]Will having two sets of BeanAnimal overflows in the same box create any problems? The tanks not built yet so I have the option to get them to divide the box in two.[*] I believe that you had 1" bulkheads and bushed the overflow pipes to fit. Was this done for a reason and will having the full 1-1/2" in my setup cause any problems?[/list=1] Thanks
What is your proposed flow? It is likely that (6) standpipes are not at all needed. Trying to balance multiple siphons may be tough. Multiple open channels should not be a problem, but each will add the possibility of the noise of falling water. When several objects make the same nearly silent sound, the additive nature of sound ensure that it is no longer silent

The 1.5" standpipe allows the open channel to flow more water quietly by allowing more air space and less change of gurgling or partial siphon. The larger the open channel diameter, the better.

The larger diameter Siphon and Emergency drains help to increase their capacity by lowering resistance.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote