View Single Post
Unread 02/07/2018, 12:21 AM   #355
juju187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju187 View Post
Hi guys, is there any quantifiable evidence to show that vinegar (acetic acid) results in lower cyanobacteria than other carbon sources such as ethanol or glucose?

I used to only dose vodka for some years and then made the gradual transition to a 1:8 50% mix vinegar and vodka and finally 100% vinegar over a few months period. My dosage rate was 100ml on 120gal drip daily, including kalk.

Over the last couple of months i have had big cyanobacteria flare ups. I have used ChemiClean, done 50% water changes, changed bulbs and reduced light hours to 6, dose good bacteria, tested rodi water supply etc and the cyan keeps returning, increasingly worse. I believe i may have cultivated a resistant strain. I cut back the vinegar gradually to 0 assuming it was fueling. In the meantime my N03 has slowly krept up to 5ppm. P03 is undetectable due to GFO.

I would like to resume the vinegar dosing again but would like to see some evidence it is the least likely food source for cyano. I want to avoid using a using a broad spectrum antibiotic if i can help it.

Any advice and evidence sources would be appreciated.

Further to this and as always with nothing more than anecdotal evidence...

1. I found non substantial academic research showing vinegar is the worst carbon source vis a vis other carbon sources.

2. I continued to blow all of the cyano off all rocks and vacuum from sand, continued no carbon dosing, and did a series of 20% water changes whilst all cyano detritus was suspended in wc. A total of 50% water change was conducted. I continued to dose cyano clean and micro bacter daily.

3. All residual cyano has now gone for a period of a week which is longer than prior periods, there has been temporary decreases in NO3 or PO despite the water changes, increasing back to original level, this is surprising however may be a die off in bacteria due to suspending carbon dosing. The rocks and sand look noticeably cleaner.

4. I have resumed carbon dosing at 25% of original 0.8ml/gal dose amount.

juju187 is offline   Reply With Quote