View Single Post
Unread 04/21/2014, 03:14 PM   #1265
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie View Post
I'm presently running 2-250 Radium MH's and 1-400 Radium MH in the center of a 300DD tank (72x36). I'm thinking of going to a ATI powermodule with 8 t-5's and the 3 banks of LED's. My question is how would I go about changing over to the new lighting without killing all of the corals in the changeover. I have SPS, LPS and also some leathers.
My 8x24w unit with 1 LED cluster creates an astonishing 400+ PAR on the glass in my BareBottomed 18" high tank at a height of 6" above the waterline!

These ATI units are absolute PAR monsters. I would start off by running ONLY the T5's for say 6 hours. Increase the time to around 8 hours eventually over about 10 days. Then start to utilise the LED's after that.

Also, hang the lights at least 10 inches above the tank to start with.

So, a combo of reduced light hours, high suspension height and gradual use of the hybrid system will ensure corals are safe.

Look closely at the corals, especially LPS and any SPS nearer to the surface for bleaching or tissue losing colour or LPS tissue becoming "more see through" (eg frogspawn/hammers etc). Reduce light intensity immediately if that happens.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote