View Single Post
Unread 09/08/2015, 05:20 PM   #14
maddhugan
Registered Member

water/oxygen ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefaluva View Post
I ordered 8 damsels, a leopard wrasse, royal gramma and 2 anthias. 2 anthias and 2 damsels made it alive that was it. Got refund but mortality rate seems really high with blue zoo nowadays.
In General I noticed that the fish were packed with very less amount of water and remaining volume of the bag is filled with oxygen. The solubility of O2 in saltwater is less than 20mg/l and if they have very less water, then very low amount of oxygen availability is inevitable. Even if you assume very good diffusion of gaseous oxygen into liquid water(this is a two phase diffusion, i.e., from gas to liquid), the amount of water in the bag becomes the limiting factor. Also, one has to take into account of the ammonia release in the shipping bag by fish during the shipping, and its effect on the oxygen diffusion into the water.

Here is what I saw, I ordered 4 Pajama Cardinals, for some reason 2 of them were shipped in two very small bags with very little water and they came DOA while in the same shipment 2 other pajama cardinals were in two medium sized bag that had a bit more water than the small bags and they lived through the shipment (they are still happy in my tank).
Does the Bluezooaquatics USE a software program that calculates the amount of water for specific species in a size class? If so that program is not doing a good job. These sort of programs may be used in an effort to save shipping expenses but one should make sure that the program is written based on empirical data rather than a guesstimate. Even after my several requests to add more water in the next shipment, the next shipment also came with very less amount of water and inevitably DOA.

In essence, Bluezooaquatics weakness is the amount of water they use during the shipment, and that's why we all see so much DOA with them. For some reason they are not paying attention to the customer input.

They should do a study by shipping the same species in bags that has incremental increase in water, for example they should ship pajama cardinals in the same shipping box but individual bags inside containing incremental increase in water, i.e., first bag should have 175ml, second one should have 200ml and so on until let's say the last bag should have 700 ml and each bag should have a pajama cardinal(approximately same sized fish in all bags). The receiver should measure the water parameters such as ORP, ammonia etc.........
Aslo record the bags that have the DOA's
Then you will know what the customers like me are talking about.

I understand sick fish coming DOA, but some healthy looking fish also comes DOA and some healthy looking ones die within a week after arrival and several ppl had already complained about this in several forums. DOA due to low amount of water is preventable and paying attention to customers' input is very important. BZ should do a study before blindly shipping fish with very low amount of water. Let me be the receiver of the fish and you be the shipper for this study...................

maddhugan is offline   Reply With Quote