View Single Post
Unread 02/17/2015, 12:42 AM   #45
AMC LSS
Registered Member

Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience yet using this Blue Treasure salt in *really* big tanks, particularly with significant ozonation?

I have an issue in an exhibit (~2.1 million US Gal) where a client opted to replace a portion of the specified salt (Red Sea low bromide mix) with Blue Treasure. The tank has since acquired a lovely green hue - it is not algal, definitely chemical. Clarity remains excellent (visibility probably around 100ft); it's just green. My best guess is that something in the salt has oxidised on contact with the ozone, as the water was fairly colourless previous to the salt change. But I'm not sure what yet - getting decent spectroscopy out of the on-site lab can be tricky as there is a language barrier - probably going to run some detailed absorbance tests myself later this week. Maybe some iron or manganese complex? Colour wise, from a purely visual look, it looks like what you would expect out of a chromium compound, lovely lime green, but Blue Treasure looks to be pretty low in chromium based on those Triton results.

If I can narrow down some possible culprits, it will help to counter it - has anyone else seen a similar issue on a smaller scale? I've seen the same problem in one other public aquarium for sure, and I think it may also have been with Blue Treasure, but I can't confirm that for a fact.

Appreciate any thoughts you can offer.

Regards,

AMC

AMC LSS is offline   Reply With Quote