View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2016, 09:53 AM   #2589
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
So, why did they leave in the first place. What limited them before and now. I'm doing the same things then and now.

Hm. I keep a list of methods vs dinos, I had you under ATS. Do you feel that just waiting it out was the critical factor?

That's what happens on real reefs too. Nobody knows. Cyano btw can utilize inorganic phosphate, and is known to fix its own nitrogen. It can therefore take advantage of very localized patches of otherwise unavailable nutrients and grow. I suspect it then dies out, leaving a nice pool of N and P for algae (or dinos) to suck up. There's also a paper I've lost the link to which actually found dinos with *symbiotic* cyanobacteria living on their armour plates. I see a strong association between cyano and dinos in my tank too.

@taricha I would definitely not go nuts eliminating a few patches of cyano. It may be flow related since it's at the back of your tank? Pick the stuff out if it annoys you, perhaps increase critters which mess with the sandbed.

@mannyhernz: Unless you have a microscope you aren't going to be able to tell whether dinos are dead or not. Did you ever get your dinos identified? Dino X does not seem to work well against Ostreopsis. That picture in NTTH looked more like cyano to me.

hth
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote