View Single Post
Unread 11/06/2017, 10:57 PM   #19
Maui Don
Registered Member

I live on Maui on the West side. 1968 was my first trip here and I've seen lots of change both in the water and land. There are many things taking our fish from us. I would say collecting would be the smallest. Endless building that silts the water, spear fishing just for the sport of it, netting and many other things. Spear fishing is one of the worst because it's so unfair and easy. Some folks to it at night, no sport at all. The guys and gals that do it want the biggest fish, those are the ones that reproduce of course. I've seen net fisherman dump long nose butterfly fish in the rocks instead of back in the water. Time shares and hotels are killing the reefs with the fertilizers that make the beautiful gardens. It seeps through the porous rock into the reef. I check the areas that I dive every month or so. Some areas have sky high nitrates. I would never put that water in my own aquarium. As for me? I only collect young fish for my aquarium. If they don't settle down in three or four days I take them back where I collected them. If they grow to large for my tank, they go back. I have only lost one fish in the six years I have been keeping a salt water aquarium. Just my thoughts on the subject. Don

Maui Don is offline   Reply With Quote