View Single Post
Unread 06/08/2010, 07:46 PM   #1
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Solid carbon biodegradable polymer pellets craze.

So more and more pellets are hitting the market. "N and P Biopellets" started it off. A lengthy thread insued with some good info and results. Warner Marine was the next to step up with "EcoBak". Warner Marine has said that it is a totally different poymer than N and P with patent pending. Now many others are coming to market. Some using the same formula as N and P and others claiming other superior pellets than the pellets manufactured in China. Reefing Evolution, NXP, and SWC are just a few hitting the market now.

So I thought I would start a thread to discuss all the various polymers in use. The science behind carbon dosing is well documented. A "solid carbon source" is not going to be any different, but does offer some advantages over "liquid carbon sources" in achieving a ULNS with fewer complications.

Yet the big question still remains....

What exactly is this polymer?

Does the pellet breakdown or release anything in saltwater on it's own?

Does carbon leach into the water column?

What are the long term ramifications to introducing these polymers into our tanks?

I am currently running WM EcoBak. So far I have had good results and believe these pellets have a lot of promise. I just thought I would start a common thread to discuss the various products and not muddle up manufacturer specific threads already running.

I also want to discuss the science behind these biodegradable polymers. Something I know nothing about.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote