View Single Post
Unread 10/01/2003, 05:59 AM   #25
Max_Strandberg
Registered Member

> I took over 100 pictures today trying to capture some teeth. I got a ton of burry images, and a few focused ones. I've asked for some guidelines on DP Review for the best settings for my Fuji S602Z camera to capture these moving objects. How do you induce yawning? Do you pour carbonated water into the tank to suck out all the oxygen?

melev, I don't do anything to induce the yawning. (It might help to feed the animal to get it to open it's mouth to see it's teeth. It wouldn't be a yawn, but should be cool anyway.) My way is to wait for the right moment and be ready when it comes. I usually use manual focus and often as many other manual settings as possible to cut down on shutter lag. When I use my new Nikon 4500 without flash I usually have it in drive mode, to be able to capture sequences. (My old casio 2800 doesn't have drive mode.) One or more external flashes is great for capturing sharp images of fast moving subjects. If you don't use flash, you need a lot of light on the aquarium to get sharp images, unless you want to bump up the iso, but that will give you noise instead that will make small details (like small teeth) loose their sharpness.

> Obviously, Max has infinite patience. And thank goodness because we get to see the fruits of his labor.

Pisces69, my patience is not infinite, but I do have a lot of it. To keep from getting bored though, I usually shoot "normal" photos of the subject, while waiting for the right moment. It can be frustrating to sit several hours without getting "the" shot you're after, but you don't loose until you stop trying, or your subject is no longer available. It feels damn good when you finally get a shot you've been trying to get for a long time. Also, I enjoy aquarium photography way too much to be able to classify it as labour.

Last edited by Max_Strandberg; 10/01/2003 at 06:58 AM.
Max_Strandberg is offline   Reply With Quote