View Single Post
Unread 05/04/2012, 11:55 PM   #1
GuntherVKW
Registered Member

Very first, one and only, reef tank build

Hello everyone....

Let me start by saying you guys are awesome....every last one of you....

With that outta the way, this is my first saltwater tank, hence the title of this thread....

I have chosen an aquarium....a Deep Blue Professional Rimless Edge 57, 36x18x20, with 1/2 inch thick, low-iron, glass and black silicone.

AND I have an equipment shopping list I hope you all could help me with:

1) Custom made stand 36" tall, oak, and black.
2) Triggersystems Sump Ruby 30S.
3) Super Reef Octopus XP1000SS Protein Skimmer.
4) Vortech MP40S (planning on using only one for this size tank, would have rather had two MP10S but 1/2 thick glass is probably going to cause problems....no????)
5) Ecotech Radion LED Light (planing on two here....my pockets are hurting just thinking about it)....oh, and reefkoi.com seems to have a very nice rack for these bad boys.

Here's the thing..... I want to do a deep sand bed with 4" of sugar grain sand....I just bought the sand today....I went with two, 20lb, bags of Nature's Ocean live aragonite sand....two, 20lb, bags of Nature's Ocean #0 Aragonite....and one, 20lb bag of Nature's Ocean #0 Samoa Pink (for a little bit of pink fleck).

The grain size of the sand is what I've been most concerned about lately. The above sand after close inspection and visually estimating the size range based on the manufacture's spec seems to range between 0.1mm and 0.75mm, with the majority probably being in the .3mm to .5mm range. I noticed at my LFS that the sand grain varied quite a bit with this brand from bag to bag and I tried to pick out the finer sand bags.

My concerns is the MP40 on my rimless, 20" tall, tank with a 4"bed will probably mean placing placing this powerhead at approximately 11" above sand level. Sooooo.....Monster Powerhead and fine sand for the DSB....I would really like some input on how to make this work and if anyone out there has fine sand with an MP40 at that height in their tank....please, please comment before I drop this money....

I am hoping that it will EVENTUALLY settle down, a LITTLE BIT of dunes is no prob....just not sand tornadoes from hell.

At this point I haven't purchased anything except the tank, sand, and R/O unit.

Many pictures and updates to come....I'm taking this slow and don't care if it takes the next six months to get this thing built RIGHT and really ready to take some corals....Not sure what I want to put in it yet, probably a mix.

I hope you vets will stick around and help a greenhorn out....

Oh and many thanks to the several threads of the Rimless 57 Builds going on right now in these forums.

Cheers

GuntherVKW is offline   Reply With Quote