View Single Post
Unread 07/21/2011, 01:03 PM   #49
Dana42078
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonodactylus View Post
Nothing special except don't bug them by trying to see what is going on in the cavity. Also, try to keep tank parameters constant. This is not a time to allow the temperature to change, to adjust the salinity or probably even clean the sand. By the time the molt is a day or two away, the animal has stopped eating and I would not recommend adding nutrients or supplements. (On more time - where did this myth come from that stomatopods need extra iodine?)

As for how long does it take for a 15 cm O.s to molt - about a minute. If you were asking how long is it between molts, it depends on how much it is eating and for females, if she lays eggs. The average would be every 3 or 4 months, but I've seen well fed large O.s molt in every two months and I've seen some O.s not molt for 6 months. Also, if the animal has lost its raptorial appendages, it will decrease the molt interval.

Roy

As for how long it
This kinda sux for me. I am in need of doing a water change and my mantis is really close to molting. Anytime ive walked by the tank i took a short glance and he's been on his back all day not moving so clearly he is close. Can cutting the lights for a day speed up his molt? Or make it easier on him?

Dana42078 is offline   Reply With Quote