View Single Post
Unread 04/25/2012, 06:38 PM   #381
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKID View Post
the first pick in set 3 is very cool there's a fish hiding inside that blue tip acro it didn't see at first but in all your pic if you look closer a second time you would find something new u didn't see the first time.
Yes, I'm going to post some more videos that elaborate more on how close reef corals and fish interact, especially the smaller fish. In some of the videos, you can see a single coral can cover an area like an open field, with schools of fish darting in and out of the single coral formation.

Its impossible to tell whats going on in the middle of such formations. I'm sure more than we will ever know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziyaadb View Post
awesome pics as usual r ball, thank you
Z, ur most welcome. I hope they’re getting better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by labiris View Post
Awesome
I envy you.
more pics
envy? Meh, its give and take. I'm sure you hit up the starbucks drive thru sometime in the last few months, ordered a half caff double macchiato or a frappaccino, while texting someone..: > )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormet View Post
Awesome thread, thanks for sharing.
War Rashad!
O, not a problem. Looks like Rashad didn’t have the mojo with him. Those standing elbows are vicious. That’s almost not defensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballenreef View Post
Simply breathe taking! I can only hope to one day live where I am able to scuba/snorkle about any day I desire. Truely inspirational! Thank you for sharing with all of us!
The time will come, I won’t have this lifestyle. I'm truly appreciative of this experience, and will miss it when I'm gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawicivic View Post
I'm in the same boat. I am actually a rampage fan strictly due to his entertainment value. I know those two don't get along at all. I am torn because of all of the bad blood surrounding the fight. I am not sure who did what to who. It should defintely lead to fighting with heart which always makes a good show.

Bringing it back on topic now (well kinda) - you talked about a lobo mountain in another thread one time. Do you have any pics of these lobos? That's why it's still kind of off topic- Lps pic request!
It’s really hard to get a picture of something so massive, as the colors quickly get washed out, and it will be a mass of blue only.. I don’t have a James Cameron budget to afford such lighting (frigging football field in size, several stories tall). Since I’m getting more handy with the video’s now, ill try to post a vid or two when I get a chance.

Pictures don’t give you a representation on the size and scale of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbtank View Post
That last pic with the acros out of water is just awesome.
Yes, makes you rethink a lot of things when you see it firsthand

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Nope link took me to your account. I could not find the video
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboli View Post
Cool Stuff!
Now I know I hate your life, oops I mean my life !
You are one lucky dude!
Keep up the great pic posts.
Thanks
You’re welcome.
Give and take my friend. I haven’t sat down at a restaurant, have someone bring me my food in some time. It’s the little things you miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
Nice video! New camera? Looks high def. Thanks for sharing your dives.---Rick
Nope. Same camera, olympus xz-1. like ive stated, this camera can do much much more than i know, a bit of a learning curve for me. I got the light attachment in. I have a Sola 600 dive light that can be used as a video light as well.

Did some reading up, and figured out how to set the white balance to shoot videos. Have to say, wow what a difference, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike4001 View Post
Worked for me, thanks for the vid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziyaadb View Post
worked me me

Awesome video. thanks. Reallly amazing down there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabj1970 View Post
I think that we are all living a fantasy thru you. I am sure that I can speak for a lot of us trying to understand how great it would be to walk out of her house to collect and view real life situation in a coral reef. See we have to go to a coral store or a trade show to purchase and if we really want to experience goto Aquarium exhibit.
How you ever did a experiment and put some of your corals on a reef and record the growth rate 6 months on a reef flats. Also for those acros on low tide is blowing me away. When I frag my acros I panic because my stuff is out of water for 10 minutes. Those acros look like they are out for few hours. Wow, mother nature.

I am sure many people say you are blessed and keep those photo's coming.

I am sure many people say you are blessed.

Nah, no experiments. Just tooling around having fun. There’s such a variety of corals, I wouldn’t know where to start to stage and gage growth. Corals that grow on the lagoon side and this close to shore are the easier more prolific (hardier) variety. There’s too many factors involved to do something like this.

Yes, corals and clams exposed at low tides are interesting, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview76 View Post
Absolutely fantastic and inspirational. I'm subscribed and applied. I showed my wife the thread on our commute home and she said she'd love to go. Every time my phone rings, I'm hoping it's Human Resources trying to schedule an interview... Fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
oceanview76---Good for you, good luck!
Oceanview, the HR process is weird out here. Please keep this in mind.

Ill shoot you a PM to give you the run down. Most of us out here aren’t doing exactly what we did in the states, so a bit of flex and imagination is needed looking at jobs. We are in dire need for a structural engineer, and another mechanical engineer with strong airside experience.

I was hoping to put off an update until I got back from Pohnpei, leaving in a couple of days……….got excited that I actually shot some video worth posting. Sorry for the ridiculous sizing of the videos. I’ve been working feverishly on finding a program that can reduce the file sizes.
Youtube is the simple answer, but we can’t have simplicity here, we have to overcomplicate things (no Youtube access at work, no high speed at home, sigh)
I'm shooting in HD, so that’s part of the problem. I figured out the white balance thing, got a good light….wallllaaa. betta videos. These first sets are an easy walk in dive. It’s the second closest ship wreck to me.

These videos are from a basic walk in dive around 40'-50' of water, so basic there’s was a couple of eleven year old kids on the dive with us.

They em start early out here.

I'm so used to doing ‘technical’ and deep wreck dives on the weekends; you forget how beautiful and fun a simple walk in dive can be.

For those of you with the patience, or have a speedy connection, enjoy the remaining videos.

Ill put a little narrative before each one, let you know what to look for and caveat the fact....

these are my first real attempts at shooting underwater video...please bare with me and if you have some tips for me, by all means...im all ears!

Enjoy.

Recap of previous video, around the bow of the wreck, then i swim upside down to show the underside and the corals that grow in the absence of direct light, including some monticaps. lots of non-light needing corals i.e. sun corals attached.

#2 Video

cruising dow the side of the top rail of the wreck. its amazing the coral coverage you get on some of these wrecks. note all the damsels darting in and out of the corals.

#3 video

Top deck of the wreck. notice the ninja dissapear moves by the fish, and the blue damsels and the neon blue tinge to the lower fin area

#4 Video

onto a nearby coral head. notice the lettuce looking corals the dominate, and flowing nature of the lobo formations
notice the change in elevation, going from top to bottom.

#5 Video

zoomed back to give you the scale of how large a single coral formation can get.

cardinals anyone?

#6 Video

clownfish and bubble tips in the corals . its kinda like double protection.

as you can see the single stripe clown variety is the most dominant here.
ocean side, clowns get HUGE. easily the size of a mans hand.

#7 Video

Anemone with skunk clowns. i really want to catch me a couple, but meh, tend to leave them alone. look at the size of the tabling acro. believe it or not, they get much much bigger

#8 Video
Peek a boo with the fish, plate/fungia corals anyone?

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote