View Single Post
Unread 07/16/2017, 09:00 PM   #95
benbarfield
Registered Member

Back from vacation and ready to finish this thing…

Worked on the tank a little bit today. Today was all about trim work. I started with tearing out the old flooring trim next to the tank. I am replacing it with knotty alder wood from a lumberyard that has been stripped down on 3 sides. I have to run the 4th cut through a table saw to get the correct size to match the rest of the trim boards. I will stain the trim at the bottom of the tank and paint the trim to match the rest of the trim around the room.

IMG_1941

IMG_1942

The next few photos show the trim boards along the bottom of the tank. I also stripped down some left over 3/4" plywood and cut small pieces to act as a spacer for the firm pieces to sit on around the show tank.

IMG_1944

IMG_1943

The last two pictures show the trim wood going around the display tank. I am trying to attached these pieces without using nails so everything will be biscuit joined and glue in place. If this works great and if not the nail gun is ready. The trim was cut with 45 degree angles and a notch cut out at the ends to butt up against the edges. The top and bottom trim work is secured with wood glue and I have clamped all along the trim to hold it in place. I plan on letting this sit for 48 hours to fully dry and then I will attach the remain side trim pieces and edging around the trim to hide all the seams. After this trim is all in place it will be time to sand everything a few times and then stain.

IMG_1945

IMG_1946

benbarfield is offline   Reply With Quote