View Single Post
Unread 05/08/2012, 01:12 PM   #18
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

chances are if the outlet is a 15 amp outlet the wire is rated for that too...they would not have installed 12awg wire for a 15amp circuit, and at 12.5amps the circuit is "technically" overloaded. not to mention a single nuisance trip shuts the entire tank down..

personally for a 220 i would have upgrade in mind when it comes to electrical...i would run a minimum of three 20 amp circuits for this tank, especially if the sump is going to be remotely located...i would have a a single 20A in the sump area (for return pumps, skimmer, reactors, etc.) with multiple gfci branched outlets (independent of one and other, not loaded off one and other) i would have a 20A circuit for the display tank (for pumps, controllers, etc.) and i would have a separate 20A for the lights as well...if you know for certain that you will have LED lighting then you could likely do a 15A circuit as the draw shouldnt be too bad, same goes for pumps in the display if you know you are only going to use low draw DC pumps and you controller likely doesnt use much power either you could get away with a 15A circuit there too...

at any rate i would want my return pump on a separate circuit from my display pumps...heck i would even be tempted to hide a heater in the display too, that way if your sump does trip you still have heat and circulation in your display...fish could care less if the tank is lit or not so i would not be too concerned with the lights tripping...

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote