View Single Post
Unread 02/05/2014, 12:16 PM   #665
dotcommer
Registered Member

I have two of santa monica 100 turf scrubbers I am looking to set up on my 300 Gallon tank and 180 gallon sump.

The plan is to have them on top of my sump which is two feet tall.

I noticed on a thread about the unit there was a post about pump size

Requires 800 GPH (after head loss). Do not skimp on GPH, because the long pipe will not fill with enough water if you do. An Eheim 1260 pump works good if the scrubber is down in the sump area, but if you put the scrubber up high on a shelf above the tank, something bigger like an Eheim 1262 would be needed. I have and use both of these pumps. At the sump level, there is not much difference in flow between these two pumps, but when you have to pump up to a shelf above the display, the extra power of the 1262 (or similar) would be needed.

I am trying to cut down on any extra heat added to the water, since I am going with MH lights.

Can I use one pump for both units? If so, should it be 1600 GPH, or would you recommend one pump for each at the 800GPH?

I know that they base cubes of food on these units, with two of these how much food do you recommend each day?

How many hours should the lights should be on each day. And when the lights go out, should the pump turn off, or continue to run 24/7?

Lastly, I have been looking at the new Turf 4 and was wondering how the old units compare to the new ones?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer these questions.

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote