View Single Post
Unread 07/05/2008, 05:52 PM   #17
jglackin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boxfishpooalot
Turf scrubbers would work well imo.

But you need a turf raceway on your roof, with the sun lighting it for a 10 gallon tank. Algae have one goal, to survive. They will spread to the main tank eventually. Alage are not natures filter, bacteria are.

Stick to gfo if you want to keep phosphate low to prevent algae.
Scheeze, with all due respect, you really are just taking a wild guess with this, right? I am not sure where to begin with how completely off base you are with this post of yours.

First off, turf scrubbers are very effective at removing phosphates and nitrates from aquaria. Hardly the size of a "turf raceway on the roof". As anyone knows, a ball of chaeto does a good job of removing phosphates and nitrates from the aquarium and it has just a tiny fraction of the power of a TS. I realize that they should have called you first, but *many* municipal water treatment facilities use TS's. Of course, on the scale you recommend, they need to make turf algae raceways the size of Lake Ontario. http://www.algalturfscrubber.com/point.htm

As far as turf algae growing in the tank...well, there you go again. Turf algae will not grow in the tank. I know people that have been running turf scrubbers for years and they have had no algae problems. I have been using a turf scrubber for over a year and have never had turf algae in my tank. As a matter of fact, I have had absolutely no algae problems in my tank. I shake my scrubber a couple of times a week to break loose the pods and bits of algae in order to treat my tangs and other fish to the pods and algae bits. Lot's of opportunity for algae to take hold in my tank and not one instance of it ever growing.

As far as algae not being nature's filter..., again, with all due respect, this is a rather stunning statement. Did you go to the link above and read it? Do you still want to stand by that statement?

I know I am being a little abrupt with you, but you are making definitive, matter-of-fact statements and it is clear you have no idea what you are talking about.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
ATI 48" 8x54 Powermodule
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
4 Nanostream 6055s
Tunze Wavebox
Tunze 6201
Current Tank Stats: Click on my homepage

Current Tank Info: The one most valuable thing I have learned over the years is that the less I mess with my system, the better it does.
jglackin is offline   Reply With Quote