View Single Post
Unread 08/13/2007, 11:10 AM   #95
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JetCat USA
No it's the way you add the Kalk to the system. you determine your tanks daily demands and the amount of Kalk that will meet those demands (takes some testing to get both those), then you add that amount of Kalk to about 16oz of RO/DI water, slurry it around till it's all mixed up and dump it directly into the tank in a high flow are. some people dump it down an overflow, some in the sump, i have the highest flow inside the tank its self so that is where i pour it.

allot of people used to second guess it claiming any impurities from the Kalk made it to the tank, but Anthony Calfo was the one who introduced the slurry to me and i talked with him in great detail about the whole thing, he's used it forever and a day and never had a problem out of it. tried it for a while on one of my systems with beyond my expectation results so it's what i use on systems now that don't have such a demand to make it impractical. the limit is you can't add such an amount in a single dose to raise the tanks overall pH more then 0.2 points. you don't go by the initial spike either, let it circulate an hour or so and settle in, I've had initial spikes on my 180 that used to be onward of a full point in pH but it quickly settled down.

you can do multiple doses, but i keep it down to a single dose, dumped in a few hours after lights out as pH is starting to naturally decline. if I've got such a high demand that the single dose doesn't work, i put a CaCO3/CO2 reactor on and use the slurry for the occasional pH kick in the pants

if you don't want to deal with nightly 30 seconds and you're done dosing then the Kalk reactor will automate it.
thanks Jetcat---I'm used to mixing my own so this method is just what I am looking for.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote