View Single Post
Unread 05/08/2012, 02:26 AM   #1
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Artificial food study for corals.

Hello all!!!

I had some time today and decided to search more about zoa/coral feeding (I fed my zoas today) and came across this interesting article about SPS corals:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~cbird/files/...%20farming.pdf

The paper shows an interesting comparison with artificial coral foods and I thought would be good to share with you here in the zoa forum. The three species of SPS in the article responded differently in growth to the three aspects of the study (light, flow and artificial food).
That could be true for different species of zoanthids also, as I personally agree, due to my own observations.
Most of the zoanthids will grow faster and healthier when exposed to moderated to strong flow and light, as we know. Some species will show better color under lower light/flow too. Most of the zoanthids will have some benefit from particles and nutrient absorption directly from the water, I believe.

Once more I would like to bring here that zoanthus spp. do feed upon small sized particles and if you try to target feed Coral Frenzy or Tropica Marin Zoa Food you can see that they will close and eat them. They close with the food inside and when they open, the food is in their guts.
It is very hard to observe such behavior with the tiniest zoanthids though.
It is really easy to notice with Palythoas and Protopalythoas!!!

Another thing I've noticed was that if you have two frags, of the same species, from the same mother colony, and you feed one and don't feed the other, the one you are feeding develops better colors and healthier appearance than the one you don't feed.

Again, some people say that if they don't feed their systems with coral food their corals/zoas are great, so it's hard to know if they would be much better if they were fed.

Target feeding would be the best for corals and zoanthids. To simply drop food in the system won't have the same impact and advantage.

Skimmer is a must to remove excess of small particles/organics.
Partial water changes are part of the maintenance schedule to keep the system healthy.

I've been trying some foods during the past years and have noticed some improvement in growth/reproduction of most zoanthids.
I'm not here to defend any theory of mine, but to learn from you guys.
Please expose your experiences with the two artificial foods in the article: ReefRoids and ReefChilli. I didn't try them yet!
I guess I better order some to try.

I've heard couple times about those foods here, but I was still waiting for my other food to finish (Tropic Marin Zoa Food and Coral Frenzy), so I could order them.

Please use this thread to show your experiences with such foods, if so!!!
If you don't believe in feeding please let us know why. That would help us understand your point of view too.

Sorry for the huge post!
Hope hear from you...
Thanks, and have fun reading the article!!

Grandis.

A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote