View Single Post
Unread 02/19/2014, 07:00 AM   #7
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
Reactors have a very high up front cost but pay for themselves in 3-4 years depending on how much 2 part you end up needing. Some people dose 100mL a day and when you're doing that you should seriously consider a reactor.

If you watch this, Dave at VividAquariums explains why his store only uses Dosing Pumps now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9yFdBnY-xA

I personally dose for 3 reasons:

1. I can split dosing into as many or as little dosing sessions as I like via my apex controller.

2. I can easily increase or decrease dosing amounts by increasing or decreasing frequency or time I dose.

3. Calcium reactors can take a lot of "fiddling with." This was the big "NO" for me. I have never owned a calcium reactor but I have heard stories from local reefers about how much they have to play with their reactors. I believe in the acronym "KISS" (keep it simple stupid).

Watch the video, you'll see what I'm talking about.
+1000

I ditched my Ca Rx on my 450g after feeling like I twiddle with settings way too often. Too many independent parts you have to rely on. I went on a 2 week vacation last year and as Murphy's Law would predict, my CO2 ran out on something like Day 2. My tank sitters wouldn't have noticed that. Came back to most of my coral near-dead from an Alk crash.

Dosing with a peristaltic pump for each of Ca and Alk is so much more simple ("KISS" as stated above").