View Single Post
Unread 06/18/2009, 12:03 PM   #7
SeriouslyTicked
Registered Member

I'm not sure I'll have a chance to get a picture posted today, will be at work late, then have plans after, but I'll make an effort.

To describe it:
The skimmer is sitting in a walled off section of the sump in about 7"-8" of water fed by 100% of one overflow and ~30% of the second overflow. The "wall" is made of three pieces staggered at different heights to stop bubbles from entering the return section. The water level ONLY changes in the return section. All other parts of the tank maintain the same water levels when everything is powered on. We try and maintain the water level in the return section with a freshwater I-V drip . It's not perfect, but it works well as long as the freshwater jug is kept full.

One night our cat must have walked behind the tank and dragged the I-V hose on to the floor with his tail and I woke up to ~3 gallons of water all over the floor, but I digress...

Now that I think about it, we did add a small desk fan a couple months ago to blow air on the return in an attempt to keep the water temperature down. The effect is minimal, aside from increasing evaporation, but it does work a bit maybe 1-3 degrees. This wouldn't be related would it?

SeriouslyTicked is offline   Reply With Quote