View Single Post
Unread 06/10/2016, 03:20 PM   #67
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
This is an awesome read! I can't wait to go home and give my fish a nice salad. Just not sure if they would prefer honey balsamic, ranch, or possible Caesar dressing since it has anchovies in it.
But on a real note this has been quite educational and I cant wait to give my fish some new food to diversify there diet even more
You could always give them a Clam, Shrimp, Cyclopeze, Rotifer blend with some cod oil for 'dressing' (I saw someone mention Cod oil).

Also in the wild a lot of predators love eating heart, kidney, liver, intestines. Basically what we would classify as offal or Organ meats.

Way back in the day my uncle kept large FW predators. His big ones were an African Lung Fish, Arowana, and an Electric Catfish (ugly yet cool beast, it looked like a beige sausage with whiskers). He often fed them Offal, beef heart and such. This was in the dark ages, before the internet was widely available. His fish looked amazing, great color, great energy levels, etc etc. He would also give them Crickets, Mealworms, and he fed his Arowana a feeder lizard once every month or so (for those who never visit reptile shops, feeder lizards are a thing)

If I were to try my hand at making fish/coral foods I'd hit up my local Seafood Market and buy up all the Organ Meats from large fish they get in whole (salmon, halibut, etc etc). Very likely they will give you the organ meats if you ask. And if you ask in advance and give the fish guys a small tip, they may remove the organs and put them on ice for you.

Last edited by Rakie; 06/10/2016 at 03:25 PM.
Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote