View Single Post
Unread 06/01/2016, 11:32 AM   #3716
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueger View Post
I bumped up to 3ml [H2O2] per 10 gallons for the next two weeks, again no change. I tried dosing carbon via vitamin c and saw a huge increase in 24 hours.

Dinos started after dosing aquavitro fuel.

Paramters.
Phos 0
Nitrate .02 at start, 2 now
Thanks for the report on a higher daily H2O2 dose that didn't work, and this thread has seen lots of reports of carbon dosing being associated with onset of dinos. Personally, my crazy high carbon dosing (50% higher than TMZ recommended amount) is what I consider the biggest factor in my dino onset. Interesting that Vit C has same result as other carbon dosing.
You aren't the first to be dosing aquavitro fuel (it's a mix of lots of difference vitamins and trace elements) when dinos arrived.

If you decide to go "dirty method" I'd recommend elevating both N and P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueger View Post
I have a hunch the dinos are brought on by a bacteria inbalance and fed by carbon. I just bought the zeovit system to see what happens..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
Mine seems to like to eat cyano. Only time I ever notice dinos is when I get a bit of cyano.
Cyano provides a lot of things that dinos could be interested in. It's an N source, it can capture Fe, and it produces and exports B12.

It seems like in systems dominated by bacteria (carbon dosing, zeo, etc) dinos have an ability to shape the bacterial community to their liking and can thrive to problem levels.

This is a super-crazy-oversimplification but it really seems to be generally true in our systems: call it Rock-Paper-Scissors - Dinos beat bacteria beats algae beats dinos.

If you have lots of algae, dinos don't thrive. If you grow lots of bacteria to outcompete algae, then you are at risk of the possibility of dinos taking control of the bacteria.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote