View Single Post
Unread 04/18/2007, 04:41 PM   #117
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

"It's just a fixture in which the router is mounted horizontally. You can slide the height up and down and set it with screws. Basically, you just set the height and turn the tube under it to get a good, routed edge."

James,
After seeing your "right angle router jig" years back (That was quick) I made one awhile back- scrap MDF, and some caulking gun type quick clamps to set the height.
Wow, that thing is super handy! I actually use it alot for perfect tops and bottoms. And if you think your router table throws acrylic chips, try lifting your router 2 feet in the air!
I cut tubing on the tablesaw fairly accurately, then over to the router to true up and baby-butt smooth the ends.
Smaller tubing is a bit trickier (and slightly more dangerous), but I just cut a little and slide the tubing straight out from under the bit, reposition my fingers, and continue.
I have also made a jig to hold a cone up off of the router table to cut a perfectly flat top for gluing tube, etc.
Until I am CNC fluent, I'll just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way

PS; I recently had some grainy looking joints in some 3/8" cast (WO4). Tell me again, is this from soaking too long, or not enough? Thanks!

Chris

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote