View Single Post
Unread 11/01/2017, 08:50 PM   #36
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Two months on and there have been some changes in the tank.
I switched from basic 3 part dosing (randy's) to the FM balling salts and had an alk spike as a result, this was not too bad but really came about due to a faulty test kit. The only negative result was a bit of stn on my red robin stag. The alk is now stable at 8dkh.

I had to remove the anemone and clowns and relocate them to my 2 foot cube at work as the nem was huge and the clownfish killed a very expensive flame wrasse, literally dragged it around by the gills. I did not really want to take them out but had to.

Another development was that I added some media to the sump to increase biological filtration it was a ceramic media in a block form that was recommended by by LFS here. Anyway after 1.5 months my nitrates went from near 0 to about 16 which could easily have been the lack of carbon dosing or over feeding but due to the size of the media and its possible negative effects i pulled it.

One consequence of switching to FM salts as opposed to randy's recipe is that the pH of the aquarium has fallen slightly. To counter this I have put in a smallish fuge with Chaeto and caulerpa.

I filled the nem space with two larger sps colonies, in fact the only non frags i have started with. one is a lovely aussie piece and the other a green and yellow millie.

Apart from that I have added a chalice, some shrooms and a zoas to fill in and act as accent corals and growth is now really staring to take off at last.

Bubble algae and brown wafer continues to be a little troublesome but I have had two halloween urchins mowing through it.

The ATI hybrid PM has been a great success and now I have resolved a small issue with the clock resetting during power outages it seems we may be getting somewhere.
lastly I replaced the Tunze 6095's with vortechs and am very impressed with the flow and controllability using the apex.

Pictures to follow

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote