View Single Post
Unread 10/12/2013, 09:12 AM   #164
Bowels
Registered Member

Today Ill be going home, and taking the sump all apart This is the current sump config (I know it says rock rubble in the first chamber but its really just a bunch of big live rock.) Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ill be removing the first baffle in the first chamber so I can fit the skimmer in there, then ill be moving all the live rock into chamber number 2, this will be my fuge... still not sure if im gonna put kitty litter in there or not.... ill prob just leave it large live rock pieces. Im going to remove the bio-balls, my buddy uses them with success, but i dont want to have to clean them, and I dont want detritus traps. I bought a 5000k LED bulb I now have in the sump, the thing is gorgeous, Ill have that over all the chaeto algae.

I found an article that says that nitrifying bacteria dies at 120 degrees (http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html) so im hoping the temp didnt kill all my live rock.... it for sure killed most if not all of the critters, I have been unable to see ANY life in my tank since (which is awfully depressing) but sadly I think if this never happened I may have never bought a tank controller or reacted to make a bunch of positive changes, so my interest in the hobby is better for it I suppose .

I really would like to know how to properly seed my tank with life again, ive been trying to find a good article... do i get live rock with life in it and hope it doesnt bring any hitchhikers? I kind of want to take advantage of my tanks sterility... while I really enjoyed the diversity of the life that came on the live rock I got from gulf reef supply, I always knew there was stuff lurking in there that was prob adverse to my reefing goals, I know i had a form of a bobbit worm in there while i never saw any damage caused by him, who knows.... i had hydras, and some aptasia but they never really got out of control.

Mr Saltwater tank advises you use dead dry rock to start with to keep all those pests out. I suppose I should prob do that since, ya know god killed everything lol

Current Tank Info: 57g Rimless Reef
Bowels is offline   Reply With Quote