View Single Post
Unread 10/05/2017, 07:44 AM   #7
dartier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
Dartier - If you have an interest in very high accuracy alkalinity tests, the standard way to do this in a lab is with a volumetric titration with a standardized acid solution and a pH meter. It used to be that the equipment to do this would be quite expensive, but that's no longer true (though admittedly, "expensive" is a relative term).

The essential equipment/reagents is a burette and a stand to hold it, a stir plate, stir bar and beaker to hold the sample, a small volumetric flask to accurately measure the volume of the sample, a pH meter with a calibrated probe, and a standardized acid solution.

Randy Holmes Farley wrote an article on this standard method, but I can't link to it b/c of the TOS. But you can find it easily with a web search.
Thanks dkeller_nc. No need to post randy's article. I have read it before. I agree that would be the best way to get a high accuracy test. I have just been looking for alternate methods to get as good or better than manual testing through a DIY alkalinity tester. This particular DIY alk test recipe caught my eye as it appears to be as good as the Salifert one, and with the removal of human fallibility may be able to exceed the commonly obtained results. Because I would also like to incorporate Nitrate, Phosphate and turbidity testing into the device, sticking to a colorimeter for the measurement stage would eliminate the need for a PH probe and a colorimeter.

Dennis

Current Tank Info: 560G Miracles tank in progress, 80Frag Temporary
dartier is offline   Reply With Quote