View Single Post
Unread 12/15/2004, 01:34 AM   #4
usjaz
Registered Member

Originally posted by barebottoms
Glad some one else see's the value in this.

Over at Linux Hacker, Hardware1 had it running in his car for a few hours. Nothing special just direct 12v from the lighter to the router. He did it several times turning off the car and starting it. He was monitoring the link on his pc and the wireless never stuttered. Another person crank the input up to 30V (I think). Several people have said the on board regulator is pretty good on the belkin. So I think a simple Gel Cell should keep this thing running. Hardware1's notes were that it draws 3.84 watt at 12v.

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/...age=0&Session=

Actually, I was refering to the fact the filesystem and application must be written in a fault tolerant fashion to survive reboot and power outage. In another word, they will not corrupt data and/or filesystems due to brown out. But, it is good to know belkin has a good power supply I have not look at the WRT Linux projects in detail, but I am aware its existence since linksys first came out with the linux based wireless router years back. I assume ppl of WRT platform had to deal with fault tolerant issue already. But knowing nothing of works already been done, here are a few things you can do: use a readonly filesystem for code store, use a journalling filesystem for data store, and self consistent check in apps, periodic and atomic commits, you can build a pretty reliable system out a regular computing platform without much hardware asist. I know that because I've done so for my day job I Our product functions just like linksys WRT, except ours is better I meant, it cost 100 times more ... a satellite router system

One thing you have to watch out with a flash based storage, if you are planning to do any extensive data logging (ie. for graphing), you must calculate the wear on your flash. Depends on underlying flash chip, whether the wear leveling is done in the HW or by Linux software, you may have to limit amount of writes to the flash to avoid getting corrupted NAND cells. (ie. limit to 1 write per 30sec)

[/B]

Already there. I have my Belkin console and have tested OWFS on it.

Do you have any converter and/or 1-w devices hooked up already?

I've Xcomplied Busy Box for the Belkin (I guess it will work for WRT too), to make it small enough for the Belkin with Telnetd, HTTPD, NFS and the common bin utils.

I have contributed to busybox project before and also use it in the product I work on. Busybox is a perfect fit for a project like this.

On the OWFS page, there is already binaries to FUSE, OWFS, OWHTTD that has been XComplied for the WRT. Which just happens to run on the Belkin because it happens to have the same Kernel verison and uclibc version as the Linksys.

Ffor what we need to do here, uclibc would serve its purpose fine. This project can leveraging all existing precompiled binaries available for WRTs. In my particular experience, I had to recompile all tools against uclibc manually one by one. Some required modification, but that's beside of the topic but uclibc was buggy in one of critical functions for us -- a working implementation of runtime dynamic linking library. I had to back out to use glibc.

If you're going with the WRT as your platform, then it is easy. You just have to do the Buzzsaw extentions on it, and you're on your way.

Don't know what Buzzsaw extension is. Haven't looked at it yet.

With the Belkin, I had to strip a lot of software off the Stock firmware, rewrite my new image wrapped in it's special firmware header.

Understandable...

I thought it was, I'm no EE. Looking through the spec I was thinking that I can just take that to drive yet another relay like an SSR for higher loads.

That would work.

I'll probably need help with this. I've been collecting various samples and schematics from and for Dallas parts. The 4 channel AD converter is the one I can't wait to play with.

A/D will be nice to implement PH and ORP probe.

This is probably what I will put right into the Belkin if I can't get the USB interface working on it. This is also Paul Allfie (author of OWFS) suggestion for the WRT where they have the luxury of 2 serial ports.

Not sure which part to use for USB<->1wire connection. Is there a part you have in mind?

Again I'll probably need help with this. I'm no programmer either But show me a sample or get me started, I usually can produce something that sort of works.

That's the DIY spirit!

I am programmer by training, I can definitely offer your help with SW. As with HW, I know enough to be dangerous

Let me know if you choose to go with the Belkin, I can give you all my notes on what it takes to make the image, what I stripped.. etc.. etc..

Hmm... let me see if I can find the old linksys box I used to have .... Or else I'd have to buy a new belkin.

Barebottom, which part of the country are you in?

Current Tank Info: 125G mixed reef, 30G soft, 12G nano/sea horse in making, 75G aggressive FW, 10G community/repetile, 40G goldfish
usjaz is offline   Reply With Quote