View Single Post
Unread 10/11/2014, 03:26 PM   #342
cal_stir
Registered Member

I to am in the midst of a battle with ostreopsis, about six weeks now, I to am convinced that water changes feed it, I have 0 po4 and 0 no3 and lately have noticed very little if any micro algae on the glass just dinos. I have been feeding every other day thinking it's nutrients but now I think the opposite so have started feeding everyday again, I was blowing the rocks and siphoning 20 gallons every other day only to watch it get worse, so how to aggressively siphon the sand bed without doing water changes I asked. So I got a 100 micron sock and siphoned through it only to watch most of it pass through, I tried a 10 micron sock and it looked good till I put a sample of the filtered water under the microscope and saw tons of the buggers, then I tried pumping the siphoned water through a 5 micron sediment filter in a BRS reactor with a maxijet 1200 and BAM, no little buggers got through. So now I am aggressively blowing the rocks and siphoning the sand everyday without changing the water and I am finally seeing results, I have also installed a 5 micron filter in place of my GFO to catch some of the free swimming buggers, I've taken my po4 binder and my sulphur denitrator offline to raise those levels a bit because I now believe the dinos out compete the micro algae in very low nutrient conditions.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote