View Single Post
Unread 01/13/2016, 10:44 AM   #2658
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallibon View Post
Thanks PorkchopExpress - I had omitted to say I did a 3 day total blackout several weeks ago and I will probably look to repeat - it did reduce the dinos but it came back after a few days although not quite so extensively. I do indeed have low flow through the UV but I think it may not be in the most efficient position in that my Display Tank overflows down into a 3-section sump in my basement and then gets pumped one of 5 ways: (1) back up to the DT (2) to a frag tank situated above the sump (also in the basement) (3) and (4) to two other water change cubes (next to the sump that and usually part of the system but can be isolated) or (5) through the UV then back into the sump. The reason I think this is an issue is that the free-floating dinos in the DT would need to go on a fairly long journey through the sump before they get pushed into the UV - and they may bypass it altogether. My proposed solution is to perhaps install another UV as soon after the DT overflow as possible. I have also experimented with siphoning the dinos from my frag tank using 10 micron filter socks - result is that several days afterwards some dinos have returned but nothing like as strongly.
My overall theory, with no empirical or scientific support (which will infuriate some) but based on my gut feel, is that a combination of using UV to kill free-floating dinos plus encouraging supporting flora (chaeto) and fauna (pods) that can out-compete them once nitrate or PO4 levels are slightly raised plus selective siphoning that forces the dinos to "repopulate" in the face of the increased competition plus addition of beneficial bacteria (in my case ZEObak / ZEOzym) MIGHT combine to remove it - at least visibly. I tend to agree with all the observations that dinos are omni-present just not usually in an observable "bloom". Either that or just the passage of time will mean balance will eventually be restored and patience is all that is needed and we are all barking up the wrong tree! I exempt people with toxic dinos from that last point who have lost significant number of corals / fish and where doing nothing is not a viable option. I await the next chapter of this thread with eager anticipation - and earnestly hope for good news from the longer-suffering participants on an altruistic level (because they deserve an aquarium to take pleasure from) and a selfish level (because they may help me fix mine!).
I used the clean method successfully.
3 days light off won't kill corals. 5 days light off won't kill corals. They are photosynthetic, but they also will eat coral food from the water. You can still spot feed them.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote