View Single Post
Unread 09/13/2017, 09:12 PM   #21
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If it was just for Yellow Tangs I would just say good riddance. But this goes much further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Again, I'm woefully uninformed on this issue frankly ..... but who wouldn't be in favor of ensuring the collection process is sustainable, and limiting that collection to sustainable practices. Absent foolish collection approaches like cyanide and dynamite, I've always thought that the ornamental trade is unlikely to be a major contributor to fish stocks - certainly not compared to food fishing and the like. I tend to not get my knickers in a twist over these things because they usually end up being less dramatic than the initial sensationalist reports suggest.
I don't think money is the issue alone - the collectors would definitely get support from Aquarium organizations and possibly also companies like Petco.
There is also no need to get this overturned as it isn't a ban. The court just found that the current process of issuing permits doesn't follow existing laws. What is needed is an impact evaluation how the capture affects the numbers of the collected fish.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote