View Single Post
Unread 09/26/2016, 12:37 AM   #17
vangvace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubbs View Post
I'll defenitely get that inTank basket, I watched a tutorial video on it and it looks nice. I haven't really done much research into the different filtration media. I'll have to look into the chemi pure and purigen.

I've seen mixed reviews on the substrate in terms of color. I'm trying to decide between your typical white/pink color or the black. A lot of people say the black gets dirty too easy but also makes the corals pop.

I'll have to see what I can find in terms of nice live rock shapes at the LFS store when it comes time for that. Or maybe I can find some that are larger that look like I could break down into smaller pieces that would work for some nice aquascaping.

I'm still debating on the powerhead, it just seems like a lot of $$ to drop. Maybe I will go lower priced for now and upgrade down the road like I do with my computer.

One thing I noticed after browsing your tank post ssick92 is that you are using an auto-top off. I hadn't even thought about that. I haven't had a smaller tank before and I never needed one. Is the evaporation really high on your tank?
I run poly filter floss (also from intank) and 2x chemipure nano in mine. The filter floss I change weekly and the chemipure I alternate which gets swapped out every month. 2nd chamber even months, 3rd odd months. Intank sends you some pretty large sheets and once you cut it down to squares for the first chamber it'll last a ling time.

Let you coral decide what powerhead you are going to use perhaps?

Tunze and Autoaqua both make autotop-offs and they are great for stability in the tank... and going away for the weekend. I use a rubbermaid cereal container as my ato reservoir and fill it every 3 weeks or so.

Now for liverock... I personally recommend skipping liverock and the possible nuisances that come with it. Quality dead rock that you can aquascape till your heart is content using 2 part to hold the rocks together is my preference. What about cycling you might ask? I like Dr. Tim's one and only and the ammonia chloride to cycle the tank. It takes longer to turn that pretty purple of corraline, but coral covers that all up anyways in the end!

I started mine at the end of June

and as of last week...
DSC_5365 by Keith D, on Flickr

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max S 650
vangvace is offline   Reply With Quote