View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2016, 09:32 AM   #2586
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Randy - there is one common thread through the many pages here that I think really matters :

Dinos appeared as other algae were being actively removed either chemically (adding an algae killing agent) or by reducing nutrients obsessively (ULNS, heavy GFO, LaCl, carbon dosing,...). This is not a disease of the reef keeper who just lets nutrients go. It's the exact opposite. This is a disease of the obsessive extremist seeking the perfect reef and eliminating algae until something snaps and we show up on the opposite side of normal.

I won't speak for everyone, so please object if your case is different.
FWIW, I was not addressing what causes them to appear, which presumably is when they are present and finally get the upper hand over competing organisms (which is basically true for any pest, although the details obviously vary).

I'm really only proposing a relatively simplistic assessment of what might be allowing their elimination after becoming established.

As a related measure, people have quite a good understanding of nitrate and phosphate. Very few reefers have much knowledge of many other chemicals in their aquaria that are required by dinos, and how those might relate to getting or eliminating dinos.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote