View Single Post
Unread 03/13/2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

First, I doubt that is real sterling sliver. If it was, it does tarnish to a dull silver or black but not gold colored. If it is real SS there will be a mark on the ring like .97.

In either case seawater or salt water is a very strong oxidizing environment. Think rust and how fast something like steel rusts when exposed to salt water. Same here working on the sliver and other metals in the SS like copper, where the water and O2 is oxidizing them. So, in short, you have a "rusty" ring now There are many others that can tarnish SS, like sulfur's, acids, Ammonia. In air sulfur is the big culprit. I will add if you are using dechlor for the water they will really make a mess of a SS ring due to the sulfur.

You can clean it but getting a silver or SS paste or solution cleaner. They are quite common. I have a jar of it just for that. You can also try baking soda and a tooth brush.

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote