View Single Post
Unread 11/03/2017, 05:37 AM   #5
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Try straight calcium nitrate from greenleafaquariumsDOTcom or similiar. You get a whopping pound of high grade granules for $2.50. You won't raise your PO4 that way. Just put a tablespoon into a liter of RO and mix it up. Dose a tablespoon of your mix and test your nitrate. Add another dose and keep testing until you get a feel for the right dose for your tank. Start slow and you'll be set for years!

Calcium Nitrate Ca[NO3]2 - 1lb
$2.50
Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2 1 lb Use to provide Calcium (Ca) and Nitrogen (N) to plants. This item ships to United States destinations only. Select a reclosable bag or our new GLA Fert Jars for easy storage...

Actually lived nearby you back then as I was a student at USF. I was around Busch Gardens and N Florida Ave all the time. Graduated in 1988. Tampa is a booming city. What used to be cow pasture just north of Tampa is now developed all the way up to Land O Lakes/Wesley Chapel. Employment is good and you know the weather is always a plus, especially in the winter. No place is perfect, of course, but I like the area so I have stayed local.

Good luck with your goni. I read where people say they struggle with them but I've never had a problem as long as I keep them happy with a steady, but small amount of Nitrate and not too much PO4. Let me know if it helps you!