View Single Post
Unread 07/24/2010, 08:16 PM   #2
bassking16
Registered Member

I just went through this with Red Slime Remover. I left my skimmer off for five days as instructed, did a 25% water cahnge, and my skimmer still went nuts when I turned it back on. My collection cup would fill completely with clear water within about 15 seconds.

Here is what I did, and it worked like a champ. All my critters and corals seem to look a little better afterwards as well. If you have a drain hole in your skimmer cup, you can hook a hose to it and let it drain into a water change bucket as the skimmer is running wide open. (You can always add a drain hole in your cup as well, but you will need to plug it up afterwards if you don't want to run an external collection container.) Anyway, I had a water change bucket filled with fresh mixed salt water standing by. As the skimmer pulled water out, I pumped in clean water. It's like doing a water change using your skimmer as the out-pump. I have a 150g display tank with a 55g sump. It took about 35 gallons of fresh mixed salt water before my skimmer finally settled down, and quit overflowing. It's been about a week, and everything looks great in my tank.

The only other option is to just let the skimmer run, and keep emptying the cup as it fills. Just be careful if you have an auto top-off as your salinity may drop with all the skimming. It will take a while, but eventually your skimmer will settle down and act right.

Best of luck to you.

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS 55g Sump/Fuge/Frag Tank
bassking16 is offline   Reply With Quote