View Single Post
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:16 PM   #9
Kinetic
Registered Member

I almost had the opposite of Dcropley.

I had a larger bonded pair (1.5" sizes) and 6 smaller (1"). The bonded pair kept everyone in check in a fairly empty tank.

As soon as I added a Magnifica, all the clowns were in it (it was great). But a day later, the pair had kicked all the little ones out. What happened after was a fight between all the smaller clowns to become the dominant clown of the group sans pair.

I tried to remove the aggressor, and then the next largest became aggressive. This kept happening and got worse as the number of smaller clowns were reduced.

The thought is that for each territory, you need the dominant clown (or pair). Once you introduce an anemone, for example just one, then you have effectively two territories. The anemone, and everywhere else (especially in a small 20g). Each territory will need a dominant clown. For that to work, you either need one that is clearly larger, otherwise it'll be a fight to the death or until one eats enough to grow large enough to be unchallenged.

Tank must have one dominant individual or pair for each territory. Either set up that way, or worked out through aggression. Aggression will vary.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote