Thread: petco
View Single Post
Unread 03/01/2012, 10:59 AM   #244
Tin_Whistler
Mayor of Podunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS Samurai View Post
@ Tin_Whistler. Yes, but keeping a fish in your aquarium guarantees it will die in your custody.
Here you're being more honest. Dies in your custody is different then insinuating you cause the death of that fish by taking ownership of it.

But with that statement, what's so bad about that fish dying in your custody? Consistent food source, and a lack of predators isn't exactly a bad deal for most animals. Also, can you tell if these fish are unhappy?

I can see if a fish is stressed, but when a fish isn't stressed what mood is it in then? Can you tell? I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS Samurai View Post
The difference is in the wild a fish's life and death contributes to the wellbeing of nature. In your aquarium a fish just contributes to appeasing your fascination. It is the reality of this hobby.
Sure the death of the fish you keep stops another fish from eating. Though I'd be willing to bet the fish in your possession doesn't mind not being eaten. Again, I can't speak to fish, or read their minds, but if the choice is between being eaten or living a healthy life...

I'm going to guess they'll pick "not in the belly of a predator." Though that is just a guess on my part.

But again, this thread is about Petco not the fish trade as a whole.

Petco's fish department is a dumpster fire. Too often they leave dead fish in tanks polluting water. They don't educate their staff on proper husbandry or care, which in turn leaves poorly educated consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
That is a pretty silly view on animals. Just like chickens....they all die right, so lets stuff them in battery cages in dark rooms. There is a huge difference between a noatural life and death and one in captivity simply for our own amusement.
There's a huge difference between keeping an animal as a pet, and trying to provide a proper home for it, to blatantly mistreating, and abusing an animal because you don't care.

Tin_Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote