View Single Post
Unread 04/24/2017, 09:23 PM   #4318
trmiv
Registered Member

So for me adding the UV sterilizer was the best decision I've made. My tank was overrun with dinos. My pics of them under the microscope are in this thread somewhere. They were everywhere. Coated every surface. They killed almost all my snails, my urchin, a lot of my corals. The corals they didn't kill were badly impacted and stopped opening. As I said previously in this thread I was ready to give up and tear down the tank. Luckily my laziness in actually doing the tear down got in the way and i decided to just try UV

So I bought the 24w green killing machine from Drs foster and smith and stuck it in the tank. At that time I also blew off most of the dinos and sucked out what I could. It's now three weeks later and my tank is 98% Dino free. The rocks still get very tiny patches during the day that I blow off, as does the sand. But the corals are now opening and recovering. Amazingly I had two snails left and they are active again. I'm a believer in UV for fighting my dinos. Just an amazing turn around. Now I'm actually debating getting another UV unit I can plumb into my sump and keep it running all the time since this in-tank unit isn't great looking. I'm scared to not have UV now though. I'll probably keep the in-rank one around for spot duty.

Next step is getting the money together for an algae scrubber and get some natural competition going for the dinos. Need to figure out which one I'm going to get.