View Single Post
Unread 01/02/2016, 10:49 AM   #2453
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
I did run dark except for my 'sump' lit 24/7 with trap material. After 5 days or so the floss wasn't catching much. Dinos returned within 2 days, and now do not seem to respond to lights out at all.
So this is curious. Is your sump lit to grow life? Why do you think they don't respond to lights out?

It's great that you're trying this stuff out!!! we need more empirical data.

For transfusions, I think the ratio (% new) is important. It's like a war and the good guys lost because they didn't have enough soldiers. It may also need to be repeated several times. Depending on the size of the donor, the water transfusion can be done weekly and at very high % to upset the existing dino-favored balance. Maybe do it at night when they're mostly free floating?

I do 100-150gal water changes. That could represent a 90% water change for a small tank. I'm not saying the other animals won't struggle with this massive if a change but we haven't tried. Maybe it can be done gradually over a 24 hr period, so 50%, then 50% again = 75% true new water. Once more 50% for 87.5%...

Here's what I'm basing this on. Put a dino covered rock in a healthy tank and they melt away. Either a lack of critical mass or a lack of biodiversity are likely their killers.

Based on your results, I'd say getting dinos due to a lack of biodiversity doesn't mean that adding their competition is enough. Basically, they took over due to lack of competition, but once entrenched, they are now defending and the good guys need an edge to break in. This mirrors other comments where a rock covered in green algae died in a dino tank.. Or chaeto melting away. Once they're in, the dinos make conditions favorable to them. Like an alien species exaforming a planet. That's why I think my UV+lights out+heavy skimming worked with the addition of new life in the forms of thousands of pods. It was all out war.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote