Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2009, 10:34 PM   #1
jbird69
Registered Member

Travertine Marble tile. Reef safe?

I was thinking about mass producing some diy frag plugs. Being a tile contractor I have tile up the wazooooo. I know that ceramic and porcelain tile are ok but travertine frag plugs would look a lot better and is substantially easier to cut. I heard or read somewhere that natural stone tiles may leach harmfull stuff into the tank. Any thoughts?

Here is a breif description of what it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travertine

Unread 11/24/2009, 11:34 PM   #2
jflick345
Registered Member

I know the main component of travertine is simply limestone but I know in general different colors in stone are from different mineral impurities such as iron in the crystalline structure. Just based on the uncertainty of what minerals are giving the stone its color it might be a hard sell to reefers. However, if you get the very pale to colorless tile it's most likely to have fewer impurities

jflick345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 01:48 AM   #3
homeboyreefer
Registered Member

my gf is italian and her family are old skool travertine and terraza craftsman, they advise against it as it is quite a soft stone

homeboyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Chemically they are probably OK.

Here are some old but short threads:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum....php?t=1040910

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...d.php?t=399437

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...d.php?t=401475

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

j

Travertine Marble tile

What do you mean Travertine Marble tile ? There is no such thing Travertine is Travertine and Marble is Marble. So, the tiles are one or the other and cannot be both. Must be a tile industry name used incorrectly

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2009, 08:04 PM   #6
jbird69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
j

Travertine Marble tile

What do you mean Travertine Marble tile ? There is no such thing Travertine is Travertine and Marble is Marble. So, the tiles are one or the other and cannot be both. Must be a tile industry name used incorrectly
Travertine is one of several natural stones that are used for paving patios and garden paths. It is sometimes known as travertine limestone, sometimes as travertine marble; these are the same stone, even though it is neither limestone nor marble. The stone is characterised by pitted holes and troughs in its surface.

Well Ill be a sono***un! Ive been installing this for customers for almost 2 decades and calling it travertine marble....guess I should do my homework So whats the verdict Boomer? Reef safe? The stuff I want to use is a very pale light tan and moderately porous.

Unread 11/26/2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Garage1217
GET OFF MY LAWN

Used it for a long time / no issues. I just buy them from home depot. They do not dissolve or any of the other myths that circulate. And I get coraline growing on them quicker than the ceramic plugs I use.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? ~ Albert Einstein

I'm just as bent as ever. Hellishly so ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Current Tank Info: Systems and goodies by Lee-Mar / Coralvue / Neptune Systems / Jager / Spectrapure / Cree / Meanwell + more!
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Should be fine J

How dare they butcher geologic names ....... If you see a bear run by do you say, "there goes another dog"

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Last edited by Boomer; 11/26/2009 at 07:17 PM.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 10:10 AM   #9
jbird69
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I may finally use up some of this travertine mar..... uhhh....travertine

Unread 11/27/2009, 10:43 AM   #10
noahm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Should be fine J

How dare they butcher geologic names ....... If you see a bear run by do you say, "there goes another dog"
Funny story. A big Newfoundland got hit by a car near a small town I lived by. The whole town was abuzz about the bear, and several people had gotten out and even poked at it, swearing it was a bear.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2012, 04:01 AM   #11
adivol
Registered Member

A Travertine tile is far better than porcelain tile because it more attractive and easy to maintain than normal porcelain tile.

adivol is offline   Reply With Quote