Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/28/2010, 09:49 PM   #651
getoyute
Registered Member

I've been adding it on the other end of my sump lately where my skimmer output is. The negative reaction from my SPS have not been as bad so maybe after a few days I'll bump up the ppm.

getoyute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 09:54 PM   #652
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Maybe it wasn't getting dissolved well enough? I'd try dissolving in some RO water, before pouring in your sump.

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 10:37 PM   #653
Reeefer
Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferpunk View Post
I always dose my alk/ca/VC at night & then if I remember again in the morning, I'll dose VC again in my DT.
Just reread a few pages and was curious why you do your 2 part at night. I read that it was better to do it with lights on bc of stability issues. I usually dose my 2 part and vc in the am and mag, iodine, and vc in the late afternoon. I'll start mixing the vc in the sump.

Current Tank Info: Not Enough
Reeefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 10:43 PM   #654
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Heh, because I'm usually running around in the morning getting ready for work & forget! Seems to be working for me.

Old 03/28/2010, 10:48 PM   #655
Reeefer
Zookeeper

Yepper, I always deal with the tank for 5 minutes in the morning, feed my Labs, get my daughter her milk and vitamin and get myself out the door for work.

Current Tank Info: Not Enough
Old 03/28/2010, 10:56 PM   #656
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yep--lucky I remember to feed the dog! Good thing I don't have kids.

Old 03/30/2010, 09:07 AM   #657
au01st
Registered Member

Alright, all hornets are now open! Purple hornet has 2 babies, Blue hornet has 1 baby, Spiderman has 6 babies!

Water has been crystal clear since about 2 days into dosing, but I am getting 2 patches of cyano appx. 2"x4" on each side of the tank on the bottom. No biggie, nothing down there anyways.

SPS: Montipora Undata has had better polyp extension and better polyp color. Mind Trick Monti has produced measurable growth since the start of dosing (it's grown more since I started dosing than it has since I got it 2 months ago...). Pokerstar monti now has shades of pink, which looks bad a$$ IMHO. Setosa has turned from orange to pinkish, which my girlfriend approves of.

All in all, great results that AFAIK can be attributed to the VC dosing.

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef, 120 Rimless Starfire in the works
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2010, 11:33 AM   #658
Pufferpunk
Moved On

My Alien Eye chalice has developed pink in it too, which is really cool. I also have a bit of cyano but I attest that to older bulbs.

Old 03/30/2010, 01:07 PM   #659
au01st
Registered Member

I've got a 150w Phoenix that's about 2 months old...

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef, 120 Rimless Starfire in the works
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2010, 01:31 PM   #660
Pufferpunk
Moved On

It still is normal to see some cyano when 1st dosing. So glad to hear of your success with it!

Old 03/30/2010, 09:24 PM   #661
Reeefer
Zookeeper

Well I can't report that I see better coloration from my Zoos, LPS, or SPS, but my phosphates and nitrates are 0! Ladies and gentlemen those two parameters have never been zero......ever. What's also interesting is that although Ive upped my Ca and Mg 5ml and 2 ml respectively daily in response to the last tests 2 weeks ago where they had dropped, my Ca and Mg still dropped. Maybe this is due to more growth as I haven't added anything to my system. Not really sure.

Old 04/06/2010, 09:14 AM   #662
toeside
Registered Member

Smile

Been following the thread for a while... and just wanted to report results of VC treatment on my own tank. I run a 10g/10g with PCs hosting soft and LPS corals.

Maybe two months ago, virtually every zoanthid in my tank was unhappy. All were either closed or partially closed and some were even receding. Everything else in the tank, frogspawn, GSP, xenia, mushrooms, etc. looked good. The green hair algae covering my rock and zoa frags also looked very healthy.

For the zoa problem, I had tried different lighting, moving to quarantine, medication, changing salt mix (to Reef Crystals from IO)... you name it... nothing seemed to help. Finally, I ran across your VC dosing system here, and gave it a go.

I dosed what I thought to be 10ppm twice a day for two weeks. I dissolved 1/8 teaspoon of sodium ascorbate powder into a bit of RO and added to my sump. For my system and the powder I was using, that may have been too much, because towards the end, I started seeing some clouding and whitish growth on my glass and my xenia started to get really skinny. At that point, I stopped dosing.

The very good news is that just a few days into it, the positive results began. First, the zoas were clearly more colorful... the centers of the partially open ones fluoresced beautifully. Then slowly but surely, the polyps on each different variety began to relax and open. And each day they seemed to look better. The improvement has continued to this day, even though I stopped dosing over a month ago. I can say these corals even look better than the day I got them home from the store.

And it gets better. My GHA problem has completely disappeared. I mean it is g-o-n-e gone. I wasn't counting on the VC to help with that, but it has. I am literally thrilled with the results. I can't say enough about how much it has helped. THANK YOU for all your help!

toeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2010, 11:03 AM   #663
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yippee, another great rebound! Yes, the VC will starve your algae. My cheato disappeared too.

Old 04/10/2010, 01:37 PM   #664
Handofdume
Registered Member

Hi im aware that this is more expensive then then the other you linked but its available locally. Would you consider it the same
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Sodiu...227-g/795?at=0

Handofdume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 01:41 PM   #665
ludnix
Registered Member

That looks right to me, you might try double checking the ingredients before purchasing though. Some forms of vitamin c had copper or other undesirable chemicals but it should say on the bottle.

Current Tank Info: 14g Biocube
ludnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2010, 02:03 PM   #666
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Exact same thing, just 1/2 the amount of the 16oz.

Old 04/10/2010, 03:11 PM   #667
Handofdume
Registered Member

thanks for the fast reply i have read this thread from start to finish and i am going to give this a shot. I looked back but couldnt find it. Did someone say 5 salifert test spoons = 1/4 tspn? thanks

Old 04/10/2010, 03:38 PM   #668
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Yes, you are correct. You started at the very 1st split of this thread???

Old 04/10/2010, 04:37 PM   #669
Handofdume
Registered Member

Thanks. Yup i started on page 1 of the first part of this and read every post as well as every post or article linked off of it. I like to read lol. On a side not the C i bought from a health food store. It was in the Pet section. I asked the clerk why and was told because most people who buy it either use it in their fish tank or for their dog

Old 04/10/2010, 05:08 PM   #670
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Ingredients? Lots of great info on VC in the Reef Chemistry forum too.

Old 04/10/2010, 06:54 PM   #671
HiroPro
Registered Member

After reading this thread, I've decided to give it a try. A lot of my zoas have been unhappy the past month or so. No real change in any of the tank parameters. The only thing different is that I've been dosing Mg for bryopsis.
Most zoas appear to be healthy except they have really lost a lot of color. One colony of them (can't remember name right now) isn't opening. Just started my first dose tonight. I'll try to post some before and after pics.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Current Tank Info: 40G Breeder - 120 In progress
HiroPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2010, 12:37 AM   #672
Handofdume
Registered Member

If you mean me the only ingredients are vit c and sodium

Old 04/11/2010, 08:25 AM   #673
Pufferpunk
Moved On

You mean ascorbic acid? How much per tsp or 1/4 tsp? Be sure to compare against the amounts used in our chart for ppm dosing.

Old 04/11/2010, 09:43 AM   #674
Handofdume
Registered Member

I should of been clearer its Vitamin C from Sodium Ascorbate and Sodium from Sodium Ascorbate. It is 1690mg per 1/2 tsp. My tank is a 65g with a sump. I figure with live rock etc my total water is pretty close to 65 so im basing it off of that. I am mostly doing this because this seems like a safer way to dose for N/P reduction.

I started this morning by dosing 1 salifert spoon (approx 169mg or .7ppm). I will do this twice a day adding a spoon every 3-5 days untill i get to a 1/4tsp.

Assuming i get the same results as others have posted i will be getting the nutribiotics version that you use and up to a 1/4 tsp of that which will leave me at around 4.5ppm which from what i understand will be a good maintenance dose.

Thanks alot for the effort you put into this.

Old 04/11/2010, 09:50 AM   #675
Pufferpunk
Moved On

1690 mg of ascorbic acid??? Should be ascorbic acid mixed with sodium.

I think you can safely start out with a 1/4 tsp. I started at that for my 40g (way less water volume in this tank with rocks too). Since the I-herb stuff contains 1112 mg per 1/4 tsp, you're getting even less value.