Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/11/2010, 08:59 AM   #2576
Lexoid
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a couple of years, and I've been 'meaning' to start a reef tank for just as long. I have a doctorate in (temperate) marine ecology and a little commercial freshwater aquaculture experience. I am constantly amazed at the wealth of information available on these forums and the dedication that people have for the hobby (more of a lifestyle I guess).

I used to have some cichlids in a tank in my office, but then the ethics committee decided that vertebrates were no go, even though I have approval to collect and dissect marine fish. I brought the cichlids home and replaced them with freshwater crayfish but now decapod crustaceans have been put on the approval list, meaning that I can't keep them for my own 'pleasure' (their words not mine).

Is it possible to keep a reef without these critters ? (shrimp, hermits, crabs are no go). If so pls point me towards any threads that will help me out.


Lexoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2010, 10:09 AM   #2577
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President
 
Sisterlimonpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Litchfeild Park AZ
Posts: 11,327
Blog Entries: 2

To Reef Central
Definitely, shrimp, hermits, crabs are pretty much scavengers and not necessary, utilize snails as your clean up crew and you’ll be fine.


__________________
Jimmy
MASVC President

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2010, 11:25 AM   #2578
Al Kurtys
Moved On
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ct
Posts: 100
Hi I just wanted to know if anyone can help me with my coralife 65 skimmer. I have way too many micro bubbles in my tank and it is driving me nuts! i am using it as a hob.


Al Kurtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2010, 12:04 PM   #2579
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President
 
Sisterlimonpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Litchfeild Park AZ
Posts: 11,327
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kurtys View Post
Hi I just wanted to know if anyone can help me with my coralife 65 skimmer. I have way too many micro bubbles in my tank and it is driving me nuts! i am using it as a hob.

To Reef Central

That came with a foam defuser right? Are you using it?


__________________
Jimmy
MASVC President

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2010, 03:30 PM   #2580
crittle143
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 37
Hi, new at this but loving it. I have a 55gal long tank. everything is set up and running beautifully but i was ready to start looking into an anemone or a few corals but my pH has read 7.8 steady. How would i get this up? I really didn't want to add a bunch of chemicals if i can help it, but willing to.


crittle143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2010, 10:56 PM   #2581
Vicarious Cynic
Registered Member
 
Vicarious Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

To Reef Central
Sounds like your over lit, but some questions arise, what do you have driving the bulbs? how old are the bulbs? and what are the brand of the bulbs?
I have 2 - 24" AquaticLife Dual Lamp T-5 HO's.http://www.aquaticlife.com/t5ho_dual/index.html Both of them have a 'daylight' and an 'actinic'. One of them has what came with the lamp (1000K and 420/460), the other has an aquablue and an actinic from Giesemann. (It's a four foot tank with a center divider, I got the lamps at a LFS liquidation so got the 2 - 2footers rather than a 48")

In front of those I have standard florescent hoods - put an 18" actinic (15W) in each of those.


Vicarious Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2010, 10:45 AM   #2582
helmke
Registered Member
 
helmke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Windsor, CT
Posts: 119
New to Reef Central and new to the hobby. Still setting up the 55g I bought.

John


helmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2010, 01:54 PM   #2583
Stroob
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 76
New to the site as of a month ago. Started into the hobby almost a year ago. Was researching new lighting for my 180 and found some pretty good info here so joined up to read up more. I will try to make a thread with my current setup and things when I get enough downtime.


Stroob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2010, 04:32 PM   #2584
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmke View Post
New to Reef Central and new to the hobby. Still setting up the 55g I bought.

John

To Reef Central

It might be a good idea to start your own build thread


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2010, 04:32 PM   #2585
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroob View Post
New to the site as of a month ago. Started into the hobby almost a year ago. Was researching new lighting for my 180 and found some pretty good info here so joined up to read up more. I will try to make a thread with my current setup and things when I get enough downtime.
We will look forward to your build thread


To Reef Central


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2010, 11:36 PM   #2586
ElChicano
Registered Member
 
ElChicano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 50
Hello everyone.. I final made it to the salt side. I just ordered my tank from my local shop. I went with a 92 gallon Corner tank made by Aqueon..I look forward to getting started.. My first step is to get a stand and canopy built..then I will go from there.. It's great to finally be aboard..


ElChicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 08:27 PM   #2587
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President
 
Sisterlimonpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Litchfeild Park AZ
Posts: 11,327
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChicano View Post
Hello everyone.. I final made it to the salt side. I just ordered my tank from my local shop. I went with a 92 gallon Corner tank made by Aqueon..I look forward to getting started.. My first step is to get a stand and canopy built..then I will go from there.. It's great to finally be aboard..

To Reef Central


__________________
Jimmy
MASVC President

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 09:08 PM   #2588
Mowabb
Registered Member
 
Mowabb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NSL, UT
Posts: 4
Hello

Hello all! I have been lurking around the local shop, ogling over their reef tanks for years. I finally decided to "dive" into the hobby. I joined Reef Central a few weeks ago and have found some good information-Thanks!

My tank is a glass Aqueon 150 gal (72x18x29) with a 75 gal sump. I have ordered a Maristar 72" HQI T5 combo lighting system and a Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 in-sump cone skimmer. I am still trying to decide on the remaining parts. My custom wood tank stand should be finished early next week. I can't wait to start building my tank!

P.S. I noticed a couple of other Jeep freaks on the forum which I found interesting to have the same two interests. So a special hello to the other Jeep nuts!


__________________
Working on my first tank!
Mowabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 10:31 PM   #2589
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President
 
Sisterlimonpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Litchfeild Park AZ
Posts: 11,327
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowabb View Post
Hello all! I have been lurking around the local shop, ogling over their reef tanks for years. I finally decided to "dive" into the hobby. I joined Reef Central a few weeks ago and have found some good information-Thanks!

My tank is a glass Aqueon 150 gal (72x18x29) with a 75 gal sump. I have ordered a Maristar 72" HQI T5 combo lighting system and a Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 in-sump cone skimmer. I am still trying to decide on the remaining parts. My custom wood tank stand should be finished early next week. I can't wait to start building my tank!

P.S. I noticed a couple of other Jeep freaks on the forum which I found interesting to have the same two interests. So a special hello to the other Jeep nuts!

To Reef Central

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Make sure you start a thread documenting every step of the way to your tank build. be sure to take lots of pictures.


__________________
Jimmy
MASVC President

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 11:46 PM   #2590
tivoklr
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25
Just reestablished a 75 gal acrylic that was shut down during a protracted divorce. It's built into the wall and really makes the house (it's a small house in the mountains, it's definitely off the beaten path up here).

This is the third time I've operated this tank, and the three big things I'm doing right off the bat: 1. big new hob skimmer, 2. new ro/di with tdp meters, 3. new T5's.

I had crap water for a long time last time. Bad me. No more. I'd rather spend money making the tank work right then put new animals in. Hard lesson learned, patience.

This time around I found a guy on cl that was breaking down his tank in 4 days, so I was in a hurry, emptied the freshwater from my tank I used to test for leaks, and spent a long long evening moving his rock/polyps/mushrooms/xenia/sand into my tank. It all went to heck in a handbasket as I wound up 25 gal short on water and had to wait until the next day to get a hydrometer and water.

I lost some of the xenia but that'll come back, and everything else seems to be happy. Might I add I moved all this livestock in a blizzard? Crazy!


tivoklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2010, 11:55 PM   #2591
bobbychullo
Super Abound
 
bobbychullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,109
hi

new to these forums and new to reef keeping. just started cycling my first tank, its a lil 34 gallon solana. enjoying it so far



Last edited by bobbychullo; 05/14/2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling
bobbychullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 01:05 AM   #2592
thinkclear_9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
hi i have a question might sound dumb but i have a 75g salt water and i live in fresno ca gets really hot here so i have been looking for a chiller i found a really good deal on one but the part you put in the water looks like it is stainless steel i don,t now if stainless can go in salt water or not. but if i put it in a smaller freshwater tank and set my canister filter in the smaller tank will this work or is there something i can coat it with to make it safe ?


thinkclear_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 10:29 AM   #2593
creep42031
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 77
hey there i recently bought a Torch Coral n right now my salt level is good almost set to the middle , n my calcium is at 400 right now, just wondering where does my calcium level needs to be at when i have a 25 gallon tank...plzzz help


creep42031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 10:53 AM   #2594
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoklr View Post
Just reestablished a 75 gal acrylic that was shut down during a protracted divorce. It's built into the wall and really makes the house (it's a small house in the mountains, it's definitely off the beaten path up here).

This is the third time I've operated this tank, and the three big things I'm doing right off the bat: 1. big new hob skimmer, 2. new ro/di with tdp meters, 3. new T5's.

I had crap water for a long time last time. Bad me. No more. I'd rather spend money making the tank work right then put new animals in. Hard lesson learned, patience.

This time around I found a guy on cl that was breaking down his tank in 4 days, so I was in a hurry, emptied the freshwater from my tank I used to test for leaks, and spent a long long evening moving his rock/polyps/mushrooms/xenia/sand into my tank. It all went to heck in a handbasket as I wound up 25 gal short on water and had to wait until the next day to get a hydrometer and water.

I lost some of the xenia but that'll come back, and everything else seems to be happy. Might I add I moved all this livestock in a blizzard? Crazy!
can't wait to see some pictures of your tank


To Reef Central


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 10:56 AM   #2595
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbychullo View Post
new to these forums and new to reef keeping. just started cycling my first tank, its a lil 34 gallon solana. enjoying it so far

keep us posted on your progress


To Reef Central


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 10:57 AM   #2596
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkclear_9 View Post
hi i have a question might sound dumb but i have a 75g salt water and i live in fresno ca gets really hot here so i have been looking for a chiller i found a really good deal on one but the part you put in the water looks like it is stainless steel i don,t now if stainless can go in salt water or not. but if i put it in a smaller freshwater tank and set my canister filter in the smaller tank will this work or is there something i can coat it with to make it safe ?
can you post a picture of it?


To Reef Central


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 10:59 AM   #2597
Aquarist007
Registered Member
 
Aquarist007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 28,272
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by creep42031 View Post
hey there i recently bought a Torch Coral n right now my salt level is good almost set to the middle , n my calcium is at 400 right now, just wondering where does my calcium level needs to be at when i have a 25 gallon tank...plzzz help
preferred levels
calcium 390-420ppm
magnesium 1300-1400 ppm
alkalinity 8-11-5 dkH
salinity 1.024-1.026
pH 8-8.4


__________________
I prefer my substrates stirred but not shaken

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 11:08 AM   #2598
Swim
Registered Member
 
Swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 146
Hi All, just logged on for the first time yesterday (5-14-10). I'm one of those people that got his first ten gallon fish tank at age 10 and within two weeks had 10 tanks set up all over his room. It got so bad that I was forbidden to bring home more fish so I had to sneak them into the house by putting them outside the window and then go into the house empty handed and retrieve the chinese food container containing my fish from the window sill. Now fifty three years later the only thing that has changed is that I don't have to sneak my captives into the house.


Swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 11:18 AM   #2599
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President
 
Sisterlimonpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Litchfeild Park AZ
Posts: 11,327
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swim View Post
Hi All, just logged on for the first time yesterday (5-14-10). I'm one of those people that got his first ten gallon fish tank at age 10 and within two weeks had 10 tanks set up all over his room. It got so bad that I was forbidden to bring home more fish so I had to sneak them into the house by putting them outside the window and then go into the house empty handed and retrieve the chinese food container containing my fish from the window sill. Now fifty three years later the only thing that has changed is that I don't have to sneak my captives into the house.

To Reef Central
Great story, sounds like you'll fit in just fine here.


__________________
Jimmy
MASVC President

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2010, 12:25 PM   #2600
creep42031
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 77
ok cpn... ok wat does these test consist of n wat will they do when there levels r high or low??? magnesium 1300-1400 ppm
alkalinity 8-11-5 dkH


creep42031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.