Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2010, 07:14 PM   #2626
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaf View Post
LOL, the funny thing is that he's already mentioned that. I think he may use it as an excuse to upgrade his 125g and "give" it to me.
You always need to justify why you're upgrading, and that's just as good of an excuse as any....

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 07:17 PM   #2627
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philberthain33 View Post
Hey,

I am also new to this forum. That welcome smiley is nice, how do you get that. Share all about your hobbies, mine is philately and monately.

best port wine

To Reef Central
So you are a wine connoisseur, My wife is the same way, However she has a taste for the German wine. when we were stationed there we brought back aver 200 bottles. The bad thing is...... I can't stand wine.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/19/2010, 09:46 PM   #2628
RockinReef651
Registered Member

I finally decided to take the plunge and bought my first reef tank. Got a 29g biocube and this site has been a tremendous help in planning. And, I must say these forums have stolen many hours of sleep from me already! It's nice to find a place where there are many knowledgeable people who are willing to help us newb's out. So thank you to everyone who has helped make this place what it is and keep up the great work!!

RockinReef651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 10:03 PM   #2629
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinReef651 View Post
I finally decided to take the plunge and bought my first reef tank. Got a 29g biocube and this site has been a tremendous help in planning. And, I must say these forums have stolen many hours of sleep from me already! It's nice to find a place where there are many knowledgeable people who are willing to help us newb's out. So thank you to everyone who has helped make this place what it is and keep up the great work!!

a 29gal cube is a great tank to start with---you will have to start your own build thread and post pics there

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 12:15 AM   #2630
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philberthain33 View Post
Hey,

I am also new to this forum. That welcome smiley is nice, how do you get that. Share all about your hobbies, mine is philately and monately.

best port wine
i love port, i have a bottle which is 24 years old as well, and a couple at 20 years old, id never call it wine though, its too good to be called wine

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 01:18 AM   #2631
Vegas.
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

If just one person reads this then that's good enough for me. Maybe it's a coincidence, I've been on RC for exactly one month and It's also my 5th anniversary of being married to my wonderful wife.

It all started a little over 3 years a go: My wife had to have the little bubble eyed goldfish, so we bought a 2.5g hex, the next day I felt bad for it and went out and bought a 20H. 3 days later it died, we committed all the noob mistakes you can think of. We ended up raising the rabbits of of the fish world for the next year: Convict Cichlids. Meanwhile I was researching reef keeping on RC and another forum, which I'm not too happy with. I've never asked a question, and simply just read thread after thread and found the answers I was looking for. In June of 08 set up 20H it was a simple reef and was really nothing I hadn't seen before on RC. In Jan of 10 I started building my current setup a 20L with a sump. It is something I Haven't seen on RC and I felt It was worthy of a thread. I have also posted a DIY ATO, and a DIY Skimmer is in the works, I feel like I need to give back because I have pulled so many ideas from everyone. My dream is to have a 1000g+ in-wall setup some day and probably won't happen until I retire, we can all dream though.

Happy Reefing.

Vegas. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 01:36 AM   #2632
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas. View Post
Hello everyone,

It's also my 5th anniversary of being married to my wonderful wife.

yep your still a newly wed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas. View Post
Hello everyone,

It all started a little over 3 years a go: My wife had to have the little bubble eyed goldfish, so we bought a 2.5g hex, the next day I felt bad for it and went out and bought a 20H. 3 days later it died, we committed all the noob mistakes you can think of. We ended up raising the rabbits of of the fish world for the next year: Convict Cichlids. Meanwhile I was researching reef keeping on RC and another forum, which I'm not too happy with. I've never asked a question, and simply just read thread after thread and found the answers I was looking for. In June of 08 set up 20H it was a simple reef and was really nothing I hadn't seen before on RC. In Jan of 10 I started building my current setup a 20L with a sump. It is something I Haven't seen on RC and I felt It was worthy of a thread. I have also posted a DIY ATO, and a DIY Skimmer is in the works, I feel like I need to give back because I have pulled so many ideas from everyone. My dream is to have a 1000g+ in-wall setup some day and probably won't happen until I retire, we can all dream though.

Happy Reefing.
welcome aboard, it all starts with a golfish and ends this way, its much better this end too, expensive but a great hobby

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 12:09 PM   #2633
Jabberwock
Registered Member

Hello, I've been on the forums for a little less than a month now, but figured I'd say hello to everyone. I started just a little over a year ago when I decided to set up a "cheap and simple" saltwater tank out of an old 37 gallon that I had laying around. The plan *was* just to keep a few Chomis and maybe one of those awesome looking Flame Angels. without spending any more than $150-$200 on gear... One year, and approximately $2200 later, here I am with the beginnings of a semi-decent first-timer's reef set up. :-)

Most of the equipment is detailed in my signature for reference, but it is a 72 gallon bow, with a 30 gallon sump (50~60% utilized) and a fair amount of live rock.

Stock List:

Vertebrates:
1 - Eibli Angel
2 - ORA True Percula Clowns
6 - Blue-Green Chromis

Invertebrates:
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Blue-Leg Hermit Crabs
2 Large Mexican Turbo Snails
7 Nassarius Snails
2 Orange Spot Butterscotch Nassarius Snails
1 Margarita Snail
1 Bumblebee Snail
1 Cerith Snail
1 Sand-sifter Starfish
1 Pencil Urchin

Corals (from left to right):
2 Branching Frogspawn colonies
1 Green Star Polyp colony
1 Favia colony
1 Red Montipora Capricornis frag
10 Mushroom Corals (various color morphs) 1 colony, 6 frags
4 Zoas (various color morphs) colonies
1 Candy Cane Coral frag
1 Hairy Mushroom frag
1 Purple Rim Montipora Capricornus frag
1 Acropora Sp. frag
1 Goniopora frag

My current concerns with livestock are:
- Monitor the Eibli Angel for nipping (it's behaved well since moving to a larger tank)
- Monitor Sandsifting star for signs of starvation (I read about the concerns after purchase... My fault there for not doing research first!)
- Coral frag displacement via Large Mexican Turbo Snails and Pencil Urchin
- Monitor Hermit Crab-snail aggression
- Monitor occasional Angel-Clownfish aggression
- Finding fewer copepods at night in the DT due to grazing (Angel? Cleaner Shrimp?)

Current tank concerns:
- Cynobacteria (Red Slime Algae) has recently appeared (Posban Reactor installed recently, Skimming increased - must empty the cup now daily - Salinity monitored more frequently due to this)
- Diatoms appear occasionally, I usually just wait them out and gently stir the very top of the sand bed when they do appear.
- Phosphate Test Kit inaccurate/hard to read (API)
- No test kit purchased for Magnesium/Iodine levels yet
- Calcium levels tested high recently (550). Cut back on dosing Purple-Up.
- Flow rate and circulation in question... How much is too little and how much is too much? What does "high flow" look like? What does "medium flow" look like? Examples needed.
- Currently have 4x 48" 54 Watt t5's. A second 2x 36" 39 Watt t5's fixture will be installed shortly to assist with the sand-dwelling corals
- Possible Coral deficiency from over-skimming waste? Dosing Kent marine Microvert every 3-4 days until algae is completely controlled.
- Chaeto in sump not growing as rapidly as I would think it should (30w florescent light). Clump removed recently, watching progress.

Anyway, that's what I've been working with lately. I'm always open to hear any ideas or concerns that people have. Thanks for running such a great and informative site!

Current Tank Info: 90g Lagoon (launched 6/17) - LPS - 2x 360w, 1x MP40, 1x NWB-150, 1x GFO reactor, RKE, 2-part //// 24g Nano (Launched 1/18) - Zoanthid Garden - 5x Trulumen Pro, MJ1200
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 06:45 PM   #2634
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Hello, I've been on the forums for a little less than a month now, but figured I'd say hello to everyone. I started just a little over a year ago when I decided to set up a "cheap and simple" saltwater tank out of an old 37 gallon that I had laying around. The plan *was* just to keep a few Chomis and maybe one of those awesome looking Flame Angels. without spending any more than $150-$200 on gear... One year, and approximately $2200 later, here I am with the beginnings of a semi-decent first-timer's reef set up. :-)

Most of the equipment is detailed in my signature for reference, but it is a 72 gallon bow, with a 30 gallon sump (50~60% utilized) and a fair amount of live rock.

Stock List:

Vertebrates:
1 - Eibli Angel
2 - ORA True Percula Clowns
6 - Blue-Green Chromis

Invertebrates:
2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Blue-Leg Hermit Crabs
2 Large Mexican Turbo Snails
7 Nassarius Snails
2 Orange Spot Butterscotch Nassarius Snails
1 Margarita Snail
1 Bumblebee Snail
1 Cerith Snail
1 Sand-sifter Starfish
1 Pencil Urchin

Corals (from left to right):
2 Branching Frogspawn colonies
1 Green Star Polyp colony
1 Favia colony
1 Red Montipora Capricornis frag
10 Mushroom Corals (various color morphs) 1 colony, 6 frags
4 Zoas (various color morphs) colonies
1 Candy Cane Coral frag
1 Hairy Mushroom frag
1 Purple Rim Montipora Capricornus frag
1 Acropora Sp. frag
1 Goniopora frag

My current concerns with livestock are:
- Monitor the Eibli Angel for nipping (it's behaved well since moving to a larger tank)
- Monitor Sandsifting star for signs of starvation (I read about the concerns after purchase... My fault there for not doing research first!)
- Coral frag displacement via Large Mexican Turbo Snails and Pencil Urchin
- Monitor Hermit Crab-snail aggression
- Monitor occasional Angel-Clownfish aggression
- Finding fewer copepods at night in the DT due to grazing (Angel? Cleaner Shrimp?)

Current tank concerns:
- Cynobacteria (Red Slime Algae) has recently appeared (Posban Reactor installed recently, Skimming increased - must empty the cup now daily - Salinity monitored more frequently due to this)
- Diatoms appear occasionally, I usually just wait them out and gently stir the very top of the sand bed when they do appear.
- Phosphate Test Kit inaccurate/hard to read (API)
- No test kit purchased for Magnesium/Iodine levels yet
- Calcium levels tested high recently (550). Cut back on dosing Purple-Up.
- Flow rate and circulation in question... How much is too little and how much is too much? What does "high flow" look like? What does "medium flow" look like? Examples needed.
- Currently have 4x 48" 54 Watt t5's. A second 2x 36" 39 Watt t5's fixture will be installed shortly to assist with the sand-dwelling corals
- Possible Coral deficiency from over-skimming waste? Dosing Kent marine Microvert every 3-4 days until algae is completely controlled.
- Chaeto in sump not growing as rapidly as I would think it should (30w florescent light). Clump removed recently, watching progress.

Anyway, that's what I've been working with lately. I'm always open to hear any ideas or concerns that people have. Thanks for running such a great and informative site!

The preferred rate of flow for a mixed reef tank is 20-40 times the tank volume in gph
In your case you would need 1500 to 3000 gph which could be accomplished with 2 koralia 4's at 1200 gph each.
I would put them in each corner facing downwards so you get a flow across the substrate. This will not allow nitrates and phosphates---the fuels for algae and cyano to accumulate on the bottom of your tank

Once a week I would take a turkey baster and lightly baste the surface of the substrate and reef rock to again prevent nitrates and phosphates settling there.

Another key thing to do to eliminate cyano is to feed less at once time
If feeding with frozen cubes rinse them through a brine shrimp net first to remove nitrates and phosphates

Finally you should be using ro or ro/di water with your changes and top ups, not tap water

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/21/2010, 11:02 AM   #2635
Rileys Reef
Registered Member

New to Reef Central

Just wanted to say hello, Not new to reef keeping but new to reef central.
I get a ton of helpful information from here so figured it would be good to sign up.

Rileys Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 11:18 AM   #2636
nmunro
Registered Member

Hello all,

I have recently joined RC. I am a member on a couple of other forums and live in cenrtal PA. I currently do not have a tank up because I recently remodeled my house and sold off a lot of items. I have been in the saltwater hobby for 12+ years now.

nmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 11:45 AM   #2637
Jabberwock
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice! I am using RO water... but without deionizing canister (tds meter comes in around .005 - .007 which is much better than the .127-.210 that I get from the tap). I don't >think< that adding a D.I. unit would make that huge of a difference over the water quality I'm getting right now... .000 vs. .005 sounds pretty insignificant to me when considering how much stuff is being pulled out of the tap water... I agree that .000tds is better than .005tds, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $50 and adding another maintenance item to worry about... The $50 might be better spent elsewhere.

yeah - I've been thinking about adding more powerheads and maybe hiding the ones I have right now in the back. I am concerned about having *too* much flow as some of the corals (GSP's, Favia tentacles) seem to get blasted all the way down on the sandbed depending on where I direct my 2. I'll pick up a 4 soon and give it a shot... If I like what I see, then I'll add another 4 or maybe a 3... I have read in several places that the flow from the sump's return pump should not be counted when calculating flow rate. Is there a reason for this, or is it simply "the more flow the better"? Is there an agreed upon direction for directing the flow of the sump's return (middle at the sandbed? front corner high? purely preferential? )

As for feeding I've been using a mix of three different brands of flake/spirulina and a pellet (Spectrum Thera A) with the *very* occasional mysis feeding (twice a month or so). The type of food added to the system differs daily, and I generally don't mix. I will take your advice about rinsing the mysis from now on. Staple food frequency is once per day and lately I've been releasing the food very slowly into the tank so that the fish are consuming most/all of it. I will occasionally over-feed slightly to make sure that some of the food (usually the thera, as they are sinking pellets) reaches the CUC, who pounce on everything that hits the bottom immediately. The fish appear healthy so far with this regimen (not gorged or with sunken bellies).

Thanks again for your advice! Very helpful!

Current Tank Info: 90g Lagoon (launched 6/17) - LPS - 2x 360w, 1x MP40, 1x NWB-150, 1x GFO reactor, RKE, 2-part //// 24g Nano (Launched 1/18) - Zoanthid Garden - 5x Trulumen Pro, MJ1200

Last edited by Jabberwock; 05/21/2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling misake fixup
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 01:06 PM   #2638
socalmicskills
Registered Member

SoCalMicSkills is a newbie

Hello, I'm new to the site, mainly because I have new saltwater tanks and have many questions. Hopefully you all can help.

socalmicskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 06:44 PM   #2639
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileys Reef View Post
Just wanted to say hello, Not new to reef keeping but new to reef central.
I get a ton of helpful information from here so figured it would be good to sign up.
Glad to have you

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/21/2010, 06:44 PM   #2640
Conrad0032
Registered Member

Hello I'm Conrad. Just got my first 29 gallon biocube tank. Plan on making a nano reef tank. But first, a fish-only saltwater tank.

Conrad0032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2010, 06:45 PM   #2641
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmunro View Post
Hello all,

I have recently joined RC. I am a member on a couple of other forums and live in cenrtal PA. I currently do not have a tank up because I recently remodeled my house and sold off a lot of items. I have been in the saltwater hobby for 12+ years now.
good to have some experience.

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/21/2010, 06:48 PM   #2642
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmicskills View Post
Hello, I'm new to the site, mainly because I have new saltwater tanks and have many questions. Hopefully you all can help.

To Reef Central

I'm pretty sure that someone will be able to answer any question you may have. Start a new thread and ask away.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/21/2010, 06:50 PM   #2643
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad0032 View Post
Hello I'm Conrad. Just got my first 29 gallon biocube tank. Plan on making a nano reef tank. But first, a fish-only saltwater tank.

To Reef Central
Good idea to start off with fish only, once you get the hang of things you can try your hand at corals.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/22/2010, 07:51 AM   #2644
Katie3G
Registered Member

Hi Everyone
I just want to introduce myself - I have just joined the Reef Central Forum. I am about to set up a 55g reef tank. I have most of the equipment - just waiting for the lights. Once the lights arrive I will be ready to get things started.

Katie3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2010, 11:31 AM   #2645
Sisterlimonpot

To Reef Central
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie3G View Post
Hi Everyone
I just want to introduce myself - I have just joined the Reef Central Forum. I am about to set up a 55g reef tank. I have most of the equipment - just waiting for the lights. Once the lights arrive I will be ready to get things started.
That's awesome, once you get ready to start it make sure you document everything and post lots of pictures.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/22/2010, 09:20 PM   #2646
Katie3G
Registered Member

Thank you for the welcome. I will document everything and post photos. Hopefully the lights arrive, and the set-up will begin, in a few days.

Katie3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2010, 09:12 AM   #2647
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie3G View Post
Thank you for the welcome. I will document everything and post photos. Hopefully the lights arrive, and the set-up will begin, in a few days.
Suggest you start your own build thread in the New to the reef forum
That way all your posts and pics etc will always be together in one spot

Unread 05/23/2010, 10:27 PM   #2648
Decker16
Registered Member

Hello my name is Alexander. I am going to college living at home. I have a 24 nano cube which is fish only. I recently bought a 300g tank which I want to make a reef tank (SPS mostly) with your help I love to play soccer. Hang with my girl and enjoy my hobby of fish keeping!

Decker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 12:34 AM   #2649
trilobite17
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

Im from Malaysia and currently have a 7 x 3 x 2.5 feet tank. Been a marine tank hobbyist since 2004, but been keeping fresh water since 1984!

Hope to learn as much as I can here!

trilobite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 06:08 AM   #2650
zaitmi
Registered Member

Hello Everybody

I am from India and I am here to learn and share my experience. I have a 8 months old 30 gallon FOWLR Tank.

See U Inside.

I am Dosing Vodka .

Plz accept me as your friend.

zaitmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral