Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2010, 11:56 PM   #2676
notpennysboat
Registered Member

Thanks for allowing me to be a part of RC. Even befor I signed it I found you to be very helpful. I'm new to the hobby, my tank is a little over a year and at first I wanted to do fish only, but after looking at other tanks I do want a complete reef tank. I have a 35 gal w/ a T5 light, two over the back penguin filters. One question was, my LFS mentioned that having a crush coral sub floor was best, but I'm noticing that sand DB sand is "better" especially with corals.
1st: is that true?
2bd: how do I go about changing it if it is better.

Thanks for all the info

notpennysboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 11:58 PM   #2677
siki
Registered Member

Hello!

Hello! I have my first 55 gallon saltwater tank and I'm very excited with my new hobby

siki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 06:55 PM   #2678
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkalis22 View Post
Recruiting is a whole new ball game now. All the standards went up and its even harder to join. So it makes it interesting. Its also nice in a way knowing the AF is a better force now. I did take recruiting to get away from deployments. My wife just got out of the AF to go to school full time and i knew if i was a recruiter i would be with my family for 4 years. How long have you been in and where are you stationed? Its alway great to meet someone from the same brotherhood. Not to mention is rare to find someone who is a reefer.
I am also in a 4 year controlled tour as a techschool instructor for 2T3XX (vehicle maintenance) I too see the increase in aptitude of the newer airmen. They question a lot more and get the info being taught a lot quicker. And to know that if they fail they can't reclass, they are out pushes them to study more.

Been in 16 yrs and celebrating passover today for master (missed it by less then 2 points) So next guy you put in for VM I'll definitely see him.

PM coming your way

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2010, 07:03 PM   #2679
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasledge View Post
Hey all, I'm Jennifer, a new Chemistry and Physical Science teacher, and I'm planning to set up a saltwater tank in my classroom this summer. I've had tanks before, but not for almost 10 years now. We had a reef tank for about three years before we had to move. I'm resurrecting that tank for my classroom. It's a 46 gallon glass tank, 36x16x20 with a bowed front. I still have all our old equipment (who knows what's good and what's trash) and all our old live rock (now base rock). Hopefully I can get this set up before school starts and without breaking the bank since paychecks don't start till August .

To Reef Central
Being a chemistry teacher you can probably make out what's being discussed over in the chemistry forum.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/27/2010, 07:07 PM   #2680
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpennysboat View Post
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of RC. Even befor I signed it I found you to be very helpful. I'm new to the hobby, my tank is a little over a year and at first I wanted to do fish only, but after looking at other tanks I do want a complete reef tank. I have a 35 gal w/ a T5 light, two over the back penguin filters. One question was, my LFS mentioned that having a crush coral sub floor was best, but I'm noticing that sand DB sand is "better" especially with corals.
1st: is that true?
2bd: how do I go about changing it if it is better.

Thanks for all the info

To Reef Central
Sand bed is the popular choice. however the crushed coral isn't bad, many say that it's a collector of detritus and eventually becomes a nitrate factory. I tend to disagree as long as you practice good cleaning habits. If you want to change it, slowly remove the crushed coral and replace it slowly with sand.

good luck.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/27/2010, 07:08 PM   #2681
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki View Post
Hello! I have my first 55 gallon saltwater tank and I'm very excited with my new hobby

To Reef Central

Be sure to start a new thread documenting your new hobby, and don't forget to post lots of pictures.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/28/2010, 10:25 PM   #2682
nycole_0816
Registered Member

Hi... Im nicole... new to the club and saltwater... I recently purchased a bc 29 and wanted to some research before I started the tank... I finally added the lr, sand & water... Doing good so far... cant wait until my tank looks like some on here!!!

nycole_0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2010, 10:30 PM   #2683
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycole_0816 View Post
Hi... Im nicole... new to the club and saltwater... I recently purchased a bc 29 and wanted to some research before I started the tank... I finally added the lr, sand & water... Doing good so far... cant wait until my tank looks like some on here!!!
cubes are great tanks to start with. You will have to post some pics of your progress

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2010, 04:00 AM   #2684
greg1982
Registered Member

Post I need your help

Hello, I have had a fresh water tanks for quite a while but have always wanted a marine tank that being said I need some advice. I have a 55 gal that I plan to use for the setup. After realizing he was in over his head and did't have a sufficient tank for his shrimp his anemone and his snail he gave them to me......in a 5.5 gallon tank. No need to tell me its much to amall i already know which is why im here but i had rescue them. I have a 55 gal and I ned some tips on setting it up without going broke doing it. the tank he gave me has one anemone, a coral banded shrimp a turbo snail and one piece of live rock. I am currently in the process of looking for live rock. but have some questions. How many pounds do I need and is there any recomendations on a type. what is the best salt mix to use and when first setting it up is it ok to mix the salt in the tank. what kind of filter should I use or does anyone have plans on how to make one. do I need a protein skimmer. I plan to add a couple clown fish maybe some corals in the distant future and some other fish but for now I just need to get the shrimp and anemonee happy. Im open to any suggestions. thanks and feel free to email mcroberts.gregory@yahoo.com

greg1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2010, 12:26 PM   #2685
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1982 View Post
Hello, I have had a fresh water tanks for quite a while but have always wanted a marine tank that being said I need some advice. I have a 55 gal that I plan to use for the setup. After realizing he was in over his head and did't have a sufficient tank for his shrimp his anemone and his snail he gave them to me......in a 5.5 gallon tank. No need to tell me its much to amall i already know which is why im here but i had rescue them. I have a 55 gal and I ned some tips on setting it up without going broke doing it. the tank he gave me has one anemone, a coral banded shrimp a turbo snail and one piece of live rock. I am currently in the process of looking for live rock. but have some questions. How many pounds do I need and is there any recomendations on a type. what is the best salt mix to use and when first setting it up is it ok to mix the salt in the tank. what kind of filter should I use or does anyone have plans on how to make one. do I need a protein skimmer. I plan to add a couple clown fish maybe some corals in the distant future and some other fish but for now I just need to get the shrimp and anemonee happy. Im open to any suggestions. thanks and feel free to email mcroberts.gregory@yahoo.com

To Reef Central
You know, live rock is preference what ever shape and style you like will work. Same goes fro salt mix, there are 2 basic classifications ones for reef tanks and ones for fish only tanks. I prefer the instant ocean for fish only and reef crystals for reef tanks. I always recommend a skimmer, it's not a necessity but highly highly recommended. as for filters I like to use changeable filter socks and use the live rock and skimmer for the other filtration.

I would also recommend you read through this information to get a better idea what you're up against.

Good luck.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/30/2010, 11:22 AM   #2686
fishpaws
Registered Member

New Today!

Fishpaws here and new to RC as of today. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years total over the last 20 years and I finally spent the money to buy what I need for a successful system. I bought a Marineland 125 gallon Pro-system in November that had a design flaw. 60 days later Marineland sent me a new 180 gallon tank, stand and hood for free due to the flaw. I'm glad because I quickly outgrew the 125. What poor phone pictures you see below has been going for 6 months.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (49.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (103.0 KB, 13 views)
fishpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 01:09 PM   #2687
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpaws View Post
Fishpaws here and new to RC as of today. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years total over the last 20 years and I finally spent the money to buy what I need for a successful system. I bought a Marineland 125 gallon Pro-system in November that had a design flaw. 60 days later Marineland sent me a new 180 gallon tank, stand and hood for free due to the flaw. I'm glad because I quickly outgrew the 125. What poor phone pictures you see below has been going for 6 months.

To Reef Central

That's a good gesture from marineland to fix a mistake. Looks like your tank is coming along nicely for only being 6 months old.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 05/30/2010, 02:19 PM   #2688
sparsons
Registered Member

Hello, name is Steve

I'm really excited to start my reef tank. Been wanting to do this for a while and recently bought complete 120 gal set up. I've already paid for everything and installing everything next Saturday. I just finished reading the entire thread about worst Newbie mistakes, and I have to admit the ones about flooding the house (multiple times) and getting electrocuted (multiple times) have got me really worried! Are these a necessary part of the hobby? Is there anything I can do to dramatically decrease the chance of those things happening? I'm trying to do this the right way and have read 3 books so far, as well as a lot of message boards.

sparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 02:51 PM   #2689
DeepSeaHunter
Registered Member

hi my name is edward, i am fairly new to reef central but have never introduced myself. i am 26 years old. i have a 120 gallon tank, with a 29 gallon sump. i currently have 80 lbs of live rock, and 7 fish with a few piece of frags. still waiting for my tank to get fully running and then will be transfering my corals from my other tank.

DeepSeaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 03:06 PM   #2690
mustanglver98
Registered Member

my name is daryl and i am new to saltwater. i have always had freshwater tanks. one day my wife and i had to go to her doctors for our first ultrasound. in the waiting room they had a nice salt water tank setup with coral and fish. i looked at it and then turned to my wife and told her that all my freshwater stuff will be listed on craigslist the next day. needless to say i sold all my freshwater and got my first saltwater set up. which was a 29 gal bio cube. after 2 months of that it just was not big enough for me. i was use to having large tanks so i started to aquire some some extra spending money and bought a 90 gal reef setup. and have been going from there. my current set up is 4 months old i have 100 pounds of live rock 100 pounds of live sand 35 gallon sump. 5 fish and lots of frags.

mustanglver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 07:07 PM   #2691
alexandernewell
Registered Member

I am not new to reef central, however this is my first post. I am alex, and I am more than just a bit obsessive compulsive. I have spent the last 18 months doing research in books and the last 14 months doing research on reef central preparing to jump into saltwater. Fortunately I have all my freshwater tanks which has kept me from making the biggest NO-NO in saltwater: rushing things. I set up my 29g biocube quarantine/seed tank 3 weeks ago. This little tank is the gateway for the 1,000g+ system I am building. I already have about 500 gallons of tank space ranging in size from 10g to about 180g set aside for this project. Since I finally mixed some saltwater and have a tank cycling it seemed appropriate to introduce myself.

I just want to say thank you to the entire community here at reef central for being such an invaluable resource during my planning phase and an advance thanks for the insight and help I am sure to receive as I go forward and build my mighty newbie system.

alexandernewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 07:19 PM   #2692
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsons View Post
I'm really excited to start my reef tank. Been wanting to do this for a while and recently bought complete 120 gal set up. I've already paid for everything and installing everything next Saturday. I just finished reading the entire thread about worst Newbie mistakes, and I have to admit the ones about flooding the house (multiple times) and getting electrocuted (multiple times) have got me really worried! Are these a necessary part of the hobby? Is there anything I can do to dramatically decrease the chance of those things happening? I'm trying to do this the right way and have read 3 books so far, as well as a lot of message boards.
flooding and electrocution are definitely not part of the initiation into the hobby.
However the chance of some sort of flood and or shock is probable over the length of time you spend in this hobby.
To avoid shocks:
install a ground probe into the tank
make sure you have gfi receptacles
have drip loops on your power cords.
don't wear bare feet around tile floor or basement floors

Avoiding floods.
I assume you will be installing a sump. Do all your water changes from the sump.
Install a ball valve between the return pump and the tank. This ball valve will control the height of the water in your tank and in your sump.
On your return loc lines drill a 1/8 hole on the underside of the one loc line. In case of a power failure the water will drain out to the level of the loc line hole and the siphon will be broken.

There are lots of articles in waterkeepers thread and my capns log book thread for further tips

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/30/2010, 07:20 PM   #2693
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaHunter View Post
hi my name is edward, i am fairly new to reef central but have never introduced myself. i am 26 years old. i have a 120 gallon tank, with a 29 gallon sump. i currently have 80 lbs of live rock, and 7 fish with a few piece of frags. still waiting for my tank to get fully running and then will be transfering my corals from my other tank.

To Reef Central

how long has your tank been up and running?

Unread 05/30/2010, 07:21 PM   #2694
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglver98 View Post
my name is daryl and i am new to saltwater. i have always had freshwater tanks. one day my wife and i had to go to her doctors for our first ultrasound. in the waiting room they had a nice salt water tank setup with coral and fish. i looked at it and then turned to my wife and told her that all my freshwater stuff will be listed on craigslist the next day. needless to say i sold all my freshwater and got my first saltwater set up. which was a 29 gal bio cube. after 2 months of that it just was not big enough for me. i was use to having large tanks so i started to aquire some some extra spending money and bought a 90 gal reef setup. and have been going from there. my current set up is 4 months old i have 100 pounds of live rock 100 pounds of live sand 35 gallon sump. 5 fish and lots of frags.
Look forward to you posting some pictures of your current setup

To Reef Central

Unread 05/30/2010, 07:23 PM   #2695
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandernewell View Post
I am not new to reef central, however this is my first post. I am alex, and I am more than just a bit obsessive compulsive. I have spent the last 18 months doing research in books and the last 14 months doing research on reef central preparing to jump into saltwater. Fortunately I have all my freshwater tanks which has kept me from making the biggest NO-NO in saltwater: rushing things. I set up my 29g biocube quarantine/seed tank 3 weeks ago. This little tank is the gateway for the 1,000g+ system I am building. I already have about 500 gallons of tank space ranging in size from 10g to about 180g set aside for this project. Since I finally mixed some saltwater and have a tank cycling it seemed appropriate to introduce myself.

I just want to say thank you to the entire community here at reef central for being such an invaluable resource during my planning phase and an advance thanks for the insight and help I am sure to receive as I go forward and build my mighty newbie system.
thanks for the positive comments

To Reef Central

Unread 06/01/2010, 04:53 AM   #2696
swissbutcher
Registered Member

Hi all,

Here are few pictures from my Nano Tank,
Martins Nano Reef Aqua pictures by Swissbutcher - Photobucket

The Tank is Running since last Year april,

Cheers from Moscow,

Martin

Martin

Current Tank Info: Dropoff Tank acryl
swissbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 12:01 PM   #2697
bobthehobo9
Registered Member

Hey everyone, I'm Erik. I've been a member of RC since '07. I've never posted... guess that makes me a bit of a lurker lol. I got out of the hobby a little over a year ago and have recently gotten the itch again. I'll be setting up another BC14 in the coming weeks... I'll be providing a lot of pics of the setup!
I'm 20 years old and a junior at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. I'm majoring in Aeronautical Science with a minor in Air Traffic Control. I'm a commercial pilot and hope I can one day find a job in the aviation industry.

bobthehobo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 12:14 PM   #2698
REEFROOKEE
Registered Member

welcome back!? lol its to addicting of a hobby to stop for ever! lol

REEFROOKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 12:45 PM   #2699
Speed
Unregister Member

Hello there!

I'm a long time fresh water guy from the Philadelphia area.
I've had generic tropical fish, cichlids, and piranhas along the way.

the start of a family pulled me away for more than 10 years but now my children are old enough to participate, understand and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

I am currently in the planning phases of either a 90 gallon or 125 gallon reef. (more like ready to pull the trigger and leaning more towards the 125)
this will be a budget project with a LOT of DIY money saving labor and thrifty bargain hunting of good equipment.

I have been browsing this forum a lot lately but have been aware of it for years, great great info and ideas here.
along with a wonderful dialogue and what seems like some pretty great members.

Just wanted to say Hi!

Fred

Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 06:10 PM   #2700
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissbutcher View Post
Hi all,

Here are few pictures from my Nano Tank,
Martins Nano Reef Aqua pictures by Swissbutcher - Photobucket

The Tank is Running since last Year april,

Cheers from Moscow,

Martin

To Reef Central
Looks like the pics didn't make it. but feel free to start your own thread and post pics.

Dishes are done man!

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral