Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2011, 05:38 PM   #3851
joemelonunes
Registered Member

New mwmber

Hi everyone!
I am a new member and i am planing to set up a glass 96"x30"x24" reef tank. I am putting together my equiment list and with in the next few weeks or so will post it for review and helpfull comments.

Regards
joe

joemelonunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2011, 05:42 PM   #3852
clams
Registered Member

I am returning to the hobby. I had a reef tank about 12 years ago then had kids. One unsupervised feeding can kill everything. After that we sold the tank. We recently purchased a 90gal and are starting to get it stocked with life rock. I ordered from Tampa Bay and so far I have the first shipment of my package. Will get the next one this week with any luck.

clams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2011, 06:16 PM   #3853
Mowabb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowabb View Post
Hello all! I have been lurking around the local shop, ogling over their reef tanks for years. I finally decided to "dive" into the hobby. I joined Reef Central a few weeks ago and have found some good information-Thanks!

My tank is a glass Aqueon 150 gal (72x18x29) with a 75 gal sump. I have ordered a Maristar 72" HQI T5 combo lighting system and a Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 in-sump cone skimmer. I am still trying to decide on the remaining parts. My custom wood tank stand should be finished early next week. I can't wait to start building my tank!

P.S. I noticed a couple of other Jeep freaks on the forum which I found interesting to have the same two interests. So a special hello to the other Jeep nuts!
A few pictures of my project:

http://cid-a67e4af2f2c25ac4.skydrive...2F2C25AC4!1962

Unread 02/19/2011, 06:25 PM   #3854
clams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneddin View Post
Hey all my name is Jennifer and my husband and I just started a 65 gallon fowlr and will work to a reef tank. So right now we are running the 65 saltwater and a 55 freshwater (we couldn't give up the freshwater lol). As of right now we only have a clown fish in the 65 we will run it for a couple weeks at least before we add anything else. Everyone has been very helpful so far on this site and I am very excited to start the saltwater venture!
My husband and I are also getting into a reef tank. I am trying to convince my daughter to give up her 10gal freshwater tank so I can use it for a quarantine tank but she jsut won't go for it. I am trying to learn how to navigate this site. Do you have any pointers?
Thanks
Susan

Unread 02/20/2011, 01:36 PM   #3855
jneddin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clams View Post
My husband and I are also getting into a reef tank. I am trying to convince my daughter to give up her 10gal freshwater tank so I can use it for a quarantine tank but she jsut won't go for it. I am trying to learn how to navigate this site. Do you have any pointers?
Thanks
Susan
Lol not really I have just kinda browsed through everything But any questions you have the people here are very helpful so post questions and they will be very helpful. I dont blame your daughter we couldnt give up our freshwater either lol. We have a 65 gallon saltwater and a 55 gallon freshwater all in our living room as well as our quarantine tank in the kitchen lol. Good luck and make sure to have fun!

jneddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2011, 03:35 PM   #3856
W8lifts
Registered Member

New

Just started this hobby, and I thought the tank was expensive and was I mistaken and the wife is mad

I have 75 gallon display tank, 30 gallon refugium, oceanic chiller, odyssey 2X 250 watt MH, 2 x T5, eshhops protein skimmer, two little fishes phosphate reactor, UV twist, Over flow box, Neptune Apex Controller, 85 pounds live rock, 3" sandbed, 2 powerheads, 2 pumps.......and about to buy a calcium reactor

W8lifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2011, 03:48 PM   #3857
votek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8lifts View Post
Just started this hobby, and I thought the tank was expensive and was I mistaken and the wife is mad

I have 75 gallon display tank, 30 gallon refugium, oceanic chiller, odyssey 2X 250 watt MH, 2 x T5, eshhops protein skimmer, two little fishes phosphate reactor, UV twist, Over flow box, Neptune Apex Controller, 85 pounds live rock, 3" sandbed, 2 powerheads, 2 pumps.......and about to buy a calcium reactor
Welcome. Sounds like your well underway to being an reef addict like the rest of us

votek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2011, 08:25 PM   #3858
clams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneddin View Post
Lol not really I have just kinda browsed through everything But any questions you have the people here are very helpful so post questions and they will be very helpful. I dont blame your daughter we couldnt give up our freshwater either lol. We have a 65 gallon saltwater and a 55 gallon freshwater all in our living room as well as our quarantine tank in the kitchen lol. Good luck and make sure to have fun!
We are having a great time so far. My husband laughs at me cause I am constantly on here looking up things . Good luck with the tanks.

Unread 02/21/2011, 08:55 AM   #3859
Uncle Salty
Registered Member

Hi

My name is Cindi, my bf Marty and I are starting our first reef tank. We have both had fresh water in the past but when we stopped by a LFS that was all salt we were convinced to go salt. We do have a 30 gal fresh that we set up so we wouldn't feel the need to "rush things" with the salt tank.

We have set up a 90 gal DS with a 40 sump. We have an eshopps 100 skimmer, 2 9.5 mag return pumps, one attached to a SCWD wave maker. We went with a DSB, about 5 inches. Currently we have 50 lbs of base rock, which is mostly burried in the sand. We will be adding live rock this week. DS has two 1 1/2 inch bulk heads for overflows and custom pvc and acrylic overflow boxes. For lighting we have Solar Xtreme HO T5.

We have just started to cycle the tank and are looking forward all the excitment to come!

Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2011, 11:50 AM   #3860
no694terry
Registered Member

Newbie Terry here

I recently got back into aquariums. I currently have a nice 90g african cichlid setup in my dining room that everyone eating just sort of stars at during dinner. From mainly visits to fish store you can't help but notice the marine stuff and my interest has drifted towards setting up my own saltwater tank. I'm keeping it budget for now until i move and have room to keep both my 90g cichlid tank and which ever size marine tank i get. I used my old 30g as a homemade sump/refugium, ordered a large protein skimmer and starting putting stuff together. I was going to use a 29 for a dt to start but think i'm going to pick up a cheap 55g instead. My goal is to get experience raising a few fish and corals using a sump/refugium setup so when i move in a year or so i can have more confidence buying a 125g +/- and have most of the equipment on hand

no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2011, 12:47 PM   #3861
DRSHARE
Registered Member

Hi our names are Rachel and Doug, we headed out to the store today hoping to expand on our fresh water tank and by the time we left the store we had decided to take the few fresh water fish and move them to a smaller tank for our daughter to place in her room. So now we are taking our 55 gallon tank and transforming it into a our first salt water tank. We'll start with fish only then we want to expand to a reef tank.

DRSHARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2011, 05:43 PM   #3862
turner85
Registered Member

Hello from Ireland. I picked up a tank from a friend yesterday who had lost interest in the hobby.Well anyway im a complete novice when it comes to marines and im gonna need some help to get on top of things. Ive already learned a lot from the site and look forward to learningmore. So i will create some threads in the valid sections regarding the help i need. Regards Dave

turner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2011, 07:19 PM   #3863
Sean_South
Registered Member

Hello for Long Island NY. I am an avid fisherman/surfer and have a deep love and respect for the ocean. I thought I should round out my "waterman" mentality of starting a saltwater tank. I have been reading for about a month of so on the subject and look forward to getting started.

Sean_South is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2011, 07:32 PM   #3864
Molehs
the H is silent

My name is Sean. New to the hobby. Spent the last couple of years helping my brother with his reef tank, mostly as labor. I swore I'd never get into the hobby and now I have a 75g tank that I will be setting up as a seahorse tank. I guess it gets in your blood...

Molehs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 08:06 AM   #3865
nhdave69
Registered Member

hey everyone...
I am a newbie to RC...
been in the hobby for about a year now

nhdave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 10:52 AM   #3866
Panoramix
Registered Member

New, excited and worried Part 1

Hi all. My name is Pierre and I live in a part of Canada that isolated from any good reef info. Glad I found this site! I started with a 35 gallon tank 3 years ago, with what I understand now is very rudimentary and probably bad equipment and advice from my pet shop. That tank got filled up pretty quick and I uprgraded to a 90 gallon mixed reef (not pre drilled) tank 9 months ago.

Now, I'm open to all the chastizing I deserve for the setup I currently run......let it fly, I want to learn and evolve! 90 Gal glass tank with canopy. Coralife Aqualight Pro 2x150w HQI with 2 True Actinic 65w. I have a not-deep-enough-yet sand bed, about 50 pounds of live rock. My filtration is the issue.....I only run my whole system on a canister filter (Rena XP3 with Chem pure elite for chemical filtration) and 2 Magnum H.O.T continuously running activated carbon.

My next post will be my tank and its inhabitants......and my upcoming challenge.

Panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 11:00 AM   #3867
Panoramix
Registered Member

New excited and worried part 2

So my tank has a mix of LPS and SPS, a large yellow tang, a large hippo blue tang, a clownfish, 2 neon gobies(?), an urchin, a sea apple, cucumber, a cleaner shrimp and 2 blood shrimp.
I do a 20% water change every other week and filter maintenance every month.
A friend of mine is moving and giving be his 200 gal mixed reef with a overflow sump setup.
I'm looking at building me a basement sump refugium large enough to accomodate both tanks at once, and splitting the return to both tanks. Here is the challenge. The 200 gal tank will be in the basement, and my current tank on the main floor. Should I get 2 return pumps? split off just one?

Sorry about the long intro.....figured I'd let it all out there

Panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 12:48 PM   #3868
German Shepherd
Registered Member

Help posting a new message

best site by far
been in the hobby buisness 1 month
lots to learn many questions.

Can someone help me post a new message it is not allowing me to.
thanks in advance

German Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 05:20 PM   #3869
gotcha4714
Registered Member

Hello Reef Central I am fairly new to the hobby. basically I have had my 175g Oceanic bowfront for several years and could never get anything to work so I was about to quit when a friend bailed me out and referred me to R/C. I've got everything running now with sand and live rock snails, yellow watchman,melanarus wrasse,bi color goby. Where do I go on this post for lighting info and advice?

gotcha4714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 06:24 PM   #3870
Nisa
Registered Member

A Valentine's Day Gift

Hi all!

I've recently received a Valentine's Day gift from my boyfriend, a new RSM130D! I don't have a lot of hands-on experience with keeping a salt water aquarium, but I am a biology student with a marine biology focus. I have been around these forums for a while, but really haven't posted a lot yet.

I have my tank up and running, and the shipment for LR and LS come in today! It will be an Indo Pacific reef tank, but we'll see how well I manage that once I start putting things together. The rock I ordered was cured from Premium Aquatics, but I'm sure there will still be quite some cycle time before I'm in the clear with water testing and am able to add a CUC.

I do need to do some research into a Tunze 9002 skimmer with media rack, as I have heard they are quieter than the stock skimmer that comes with this tank setup, though for now I am just content that all seems to be up and running perfectly. Saltwater is in the tank! If anyone would like to chime in and has sage advise on RSM130D's or on Indo Pacific reef tanks, feel free! Or if you're just the social type, and like to look at new tank threads (I love those)!

Pictures soon to come, promise!

Nisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 02:02 AM   #3871
fn1
Registered Member

newb

Hi all my name is Shaun I am bran new to keeping a salt water tank....just started my first tank about 2 weeks ago. Its a 55 gal. Marine land its not drilled and I have an aquaclear 70 for filtration, fluval heater, a wave maker and two 15w power-glow lights. Right now there is 50lbs of medium grade sand and about 15 lbs of live rock....I know this set up is probably not optimal and it will be upgraded as I learn and as my budget will allow....I fear that I have made a rookie mistake in that I have added fish prematurely...there are two damsels and a pair of clown fish that my wife picked out....I was unaware of the cycle process when purchasing the fish.....(shame on me for not resurching beforehand)...im sure I will bug you all to death with all of the questions I have...

Shaun

fn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 08:19 AM   #3872
firebird9189
Registered Member

Hi all my name is Steve, I am new here and new to salt water tanks.I have had freshwater tank for years, but have been out of the hobby for a few years. I plan on picking up one of the Dymax IQ3 picotanks as my first little attempt in the hobby.

firebird9189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 09:17 AM   #3873
phillipatomus
Registered Member

Hello all,
New to saltwater/reef. Have/Had been keeping and breeding African Cichlids for 4 years. Just sold my 125 gallon Cichlid tank and all my fish to make room for new 100 gallon.

Recently set up first 30 gallon salt water for my daughter. It's been cycled and running for about 2 months now. Currently inhabited by CUC, 2 clowns, 1 green bubble tip anemone. Hoping to make this a nice reef aquarium.

Also aquiring from a friend , for a great deal, a 100 gallon system he has had up and running for several years. Moving it this Sunday.

So I'm jumping in head first and will be on this site alot I feel.

phillipatomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 03:01 PM   #3874
Hawk98
Registered Member

Hello all. I am completely new to reef tanks and am thinking about buying a BioCube 29gal. Anyone out there with a BC 29 who has some inupt/ideas?

Thanks.

Hawk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 07:24 PM   #3875
gysgt7486
Moved On

Hello I new here on RC

Hello everyone ...glad to be here! I've been in the hobby for over 10 yrs. Currently have a 125G mix reef tank.

gysgt7486 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral